Alternative Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
I think it would be possible to use alternative energy soources that would be much safer on us,more efficient, and less harmful on the environment. In opposition to coal, oil, and other fossil fuels.

Any Suggestions?

I think the one thing thats causing us to not do this is because alot of big business, politicians, and the public depend so much on oil for instance that it would cost trillions to get it started and switch over.

But I believe in the long run it would be more beneficial.

blade

A group of Bouncies who run their own small power generating dynamo

:tm::tm::tm:

:tm::tm::tm:

[Edited on 4-20-2004 by Gregg]

[quote:5aee2b4156][i:5aee2b4156]Originally posted by Bladestunner316[/i:5aee2b4156]
I think it would be possible to use alternative energy soources that would be much safer on us,more efficient, and less harmful on the environment. In opposition to coal, oil, and other fossil fuels.

Any Suggestions?
[/quote:5aee2b4156]

For now, oil will have to do. The technology just isn't there yet to replace it. And there's plenty of it too. Last I heard, there's enough oil to last us 300 more years. That's plenty of time to perfect our alternative technologies. No need to rush and make stupid decisions, like many eco-freaks and tree-huggers would like us to do. Plus, our cars are much more cleaner burning now, and are getting better.

One major alternative which is safe and efficient is Nuclear Power. But people are so afraid of another Chernobyl they don't want it. The technology is so much more advanced now. They now have designs for breeder reactors which burn not only the Uranium but also all the waste products. Imagine that! NO toxic waste!

Solar could use some work too. I think Hydrogen power looks very promising but it still needs alot of development.

[Edited on 4-20-2004 by puritansailor]

I keep hearing about these hydrogen fuel cells - don't know much about them though.

I think we definately need to work towards ending our dependence on oil - our relationship with the Middle East is like a really bad, co-dependent, abusive marriage.

agreed tthere are two ways to get hydrogen the better way which is from oxygen and water(or just one of them) and from oil.

blade

[quote:576cfa55f7][i:576cfa55f7]Originally posted by Mary[/i:576cfa55f7]
I keep hearing about these hydrogen fuel cells - don't know much about them though.

I think we definately need to work towards ending our dependence on oil - our relationship with the Middle East is like a really bad, co-dependent, abusive marriage. [/quote:576cfa55f7]

The big problem is the infrastructure for alternative fuels that is needed and takes years, or decades, to build. The infrastructure to supply gas for cars is there and the technology to use it much more efficiently is finally getting practical.

A MIT study concluded that by getting the average MPG for cars up to 40, it would take less than a decade to eliminate our dependence on OPEC oil! Forty MPG! The Prius and Civic Hybrid are there and Ford expects the Escape Hybrid to get 35 - 40 MPG.

(Yes, I am putting my money on the line and waiting to get the Prius I ordered.)

Those Hybrids will work great for urban driving but if you want to haul a load or drive on the freeway, they won't do so hot. At least, they haven't got that far yet in the development.

[quote:b8516fae69][i:b8516fae69]Originally posted by puritansailor[/i:b8516fae69]
Those Hybrids will work great for urban driving but if you want to haul a load or drive on the freeway, they won't do so hot. At least, they haven't got that far yet in the development. [/quote:b8516fae69]

And what percentage of the average person's driving requires hauling a load. Also on the freeway the Prius will go fast enough to get someone wearing a uniform to get you to pull over for a piece of paper!

[quote:d25814a309][i:d25814a309]Originally posted by Bladestunner316[/i:d25814a309]
Well all of us bookies we cant go anywhere without our precisous books:lol::lol::lol: [/quote:d25814a309]
Exactly! :thumbup: Prius just won't cut it for us reformed folk. :wink:

[quote:5c6ccef01f][i:5c6ccef01f]Originally posted by puritansailor[/i:5c6ccef01f]
[quote:5c6ccef01f][i:5c6ccef01f]Originally posted by Bladestunner316[/i:5c6ccef01f]
Well all of us bookies we cant go anywhere without our precisous books:lol::lol::lol: [/quote:5c6ccef01f]
Exactly! :thumbup: Prius just won't cut it for us reformed folk. :wink: [/quote:5c6ccef01f]

As Reformed Christians we need to get off our bed of TULIPs and our noses out of dusty old tomes and apply our theology to all areas of our lives. There are too many semi-reformed folk floating around who think that TULIP defines reformed theology and can't get beyond that. :thumbdown: Notice that both the WCF 1647 and the LBCF 1689, required for joining this discussion board, go well beyond TULIP.

To me buying a Prius is a simple, straight forward, and yes even no-brainer, application of the Cultural Mandate (Gen 1:28). We are stewards of God's creation and not given carte blanche to plunderer it for our pleasure.

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by jfschultz]

[quote:ffd8c24f18]
To me buying a Prius is a simple, straight forward, and yes even no-brainer, application of the Cultural Mandate (Gen 1:28). We are stewards of God's creation and not given carte blanche to plunderer it for our pleasure.
[/quote:ffd8c24f18]

That is certainly very true, and I drive a smaller model car, which is pretty fuel efficient (and possibly suicidal with all the monster SUVs and 18-wheelers on the roads around me), but, as a Detroiter, I cannot see myself buying a foreign car. I understand they are international conglomerates and "there's no such thing as a foreign car". My head gets it. My heart breaks every time I drive through Detroit and see the wreckage of a formerly beautiful city. The pain and the poverty are palpable.

:(

Mary

[quote:a7949e3bfe][i:a7949e3bfe]Originally posted by Mary[/i:a7949e3bfe]
[quote:a7949e3bfe]
[/quote:a7949e3bfe]

That is certainly very true, and I drive a smaller model car, which is pretty fuel efficient (and possibly suicidal with all the monster SUVs and 18-wheelers on the roads around me), but, as a Detroiter, I cannot see myself buying a foreign car. I understand they are international conglomerates and "there's no such thing as a foreign car". My head gets it. My heart breaks every time I drive through Detroit and see the wreckage of a formerly beautiful city. The pain and the poverty are palpable.

:(

Mary [/quote:a7949e3bfe]

Ford has licensed Toyota's technology for the hybrid Escape, and announced additional hybrids to come. Both Toyota and Honda will also be expanding their hybrid line. GM is apparently selling some hybrid trucks to fleet buyers, which might make the consumer market.

How about wood for heat and horses for transportation? All-natural renewable resources. In a pinch, you can burn the horse chips.... I'm not sure I'd want to cook over it . :candle:

Can I get a Texas Amen?:wink:

[quote:d7f6f515ad][i:d7f6f515ad]Originally posted by mjbee[/i:d7f6f515ad]
How about wood for heat and horses for transportation? All-natural renewable resources. In a pinch, you can burn the horse chips.... I'm not sure I'd want to cook over it . :candle:
[/quote:d7f6f515ad]

Reply...

There will be no more horse chips from this fellow.

:deadhorse:

[quote:280110c28d][i:280110c28d]Originally posted by mjbee[/i:280110c28d]

Can I get a Texas Amen?:wink: [/quote:280110c28d]
I think horse manure would be more hazardous to our healthy than car exhaust... gross. :barfy:
Of course they both can feed trees.

[quote:268b33ccfd][i:268b33ccfd]Originally posted by mjbee[/i:268b33ccfd]

Can I get a Texas Amen?:wink: [/quote:268b33ccfd]

Originally cars were seen as a "pollution free" solution of the obvious problem horses left behind! :smilegrin:

[quote:a8d2884db4]
[/quote:a8d2884db4]

Ditto what John just said, AND I have heard (overandoverandover) from an environmentalist relative that burning wood is terrible for the environment..every time I suggest a nice wood fire in the fireplace on a holiday, my suggestion gets shot down with a "that's just the kind of destructive thing you would hear from a Republican" kind of comment.

Sigh. I get really weary of being the only conservative in my family (and practically the only Christian). I live in a lonely little lighthouse. :(

Has anyone heard of the new corn-burning stoves? I keep hearing they are supposed to be great...Of course, I can hear my grandmother now, "You can't waste food."

:)

[quote:7319ab82e4][i:7319ab82e4]Originally posted by Mary[/i:7319ab82e4]

Ditto what John just said, AND I have heard (overandoverandover) from an environmentalist relative that burning wood is terrible for the environment..every time I suggest a nice wood fire in the fireplace on a holiday, my suggestion gets shot down with a "that's just the kind of destructive thing you would hear from a Republican" kind of comment.

Sigh. I get really weary of being the only conservative in my family (and practically the only Christian). I live in a lonely little lighthouse. :(

Has anyone heard of the new corn-burning stoves? I keep hearing they are supposed to be great...Of course, I can hear my grandmother now, "You can't waste food."

:) [/quote:7319ab82e4]

Reply...

One of the nicest things about living in New England is taking a walk in the deep fall or winter and the smell from the fireplaces and wood stoves in the air.

I can't remember too many holidays without the fireplace.

[quote:3102051b5f]
One of the nicest things about living in New England is taking a walk in the deep fall or winter and the smell from the fireplaces and wood stoves in the air.
[/quote:3102051b5f]

Oh, that sounds lovely! MUCH more the way it should be!

Of course, holidays would also be better if the family didn't try to spend them trying to "rescue" me from Republicanism and Christianity...

Not to mention burning the meat! Yuck!!!

:D Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back