Amazing Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Gruffudd plays Wilberforce, who, as a Member of Parliament, navigated the world of 18th Century backroom politics to end the slave trade in the British Empire. Albert Finney plays John Newton, a confidante of Wilberforce who inspires him to pursue a life of service to humanity. Benedict Cumberbatch is William Pitt the Younger, England's youngest ever Prime Minister at the age of 24, who encourages his friend Wilberforce to take up the fight to outlaw slavery and supports him in his struggles in Parliament.

Amazing Grace, based on the life of antislavery pioneer William Wilberforce, is directed by Michael Apted (The World is Not Enough, Coal Miner's Daughter) from an original screenplay written by Academy Award® nominee Steven Knight (Dirty Pretty Things).

The film stars Ioan Gruffudd (Black Hawk Down), Albert Finney (Erin Brockovich), Romola Garai (Vanity Fair), Michael Gambon, Benedict Cumberbatch (Hawking), Rufus Sewell (Legend of Zorro), Ciaran Hinds (Rome) and introduces Youssou N'Dour.

It was one of those "slower" movies, but filled with Wilberforce's heroism and difficulty in trying to abolish slavery in England.

It demonstrated that Christian men make a difference, though I would have liked to see more of the Gospel.

John Newton said "Two things I know - I am a great sinner and Christ is a great savior." Interesting to hear such things in a movie theater.

Overall, it was exceedingly well casted, and my wife and I enjoyed it very much.

(I've been under the weather lately, but the "slowness" of the movie may have been "just me" and not the film itself. My wife would have liked to see more of his practical side, instead of taking up so much time in the courts. I liked that Doddridge and Newton were part of the story, and that the minister held a high role than that which you would see as in Pride and Prejudice.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back