Anselm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnpreacher

Puritan Board Junior
Dost thou believe that the Lord Jesus died for thee?

I believe it.

Dost thou thank him for his passion and death?

I do thank him.

Dost thou believe that thou canst not be saved except by his death?

I believe it.

Come then, while life remaineth in thee; in his death alone place thy whole trust; in naught else place any trust; to his death commit thyself wholly; with this alone cover thyself wholly; and if the Lord thy God will to judge thee, say, ‘Lord, between thy judgment and me I present the death of our Lord Jesus Christ; no otherwise can I contend with thee.’ And if he shall say that thou art a sinner, say thou: ‘Lord, I interpose the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between my sins and thee.’ If he say that thou hast deserved condemnation, say: ‘Lord, I set the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between my evil deserts and thee, and his merits I offer for those which I ought to have and have not.’ If he say that he is wroth with thee, say: ‘Lord, I oppose the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between thy wrath and me.’ And when thou hast completed this, say again: ‘Lord, I set the death of our Lord Jesus Christ between thee and me.'

Anselm really is not an "early church Father" in that sense. Anselm was around the 11th Century. His Cur Deus Homo is required reading for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back