Answering the Lutheran view

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggy

Puritan Board Freshman
How would you answer the confessional Lutheran view that Gospel proclamation of one's forgiveness of sins is not conditioned on one's faith but is rather the foundation of one's faith, and that the *concrete* declaration of the Gospel, whether in absolution or the sacraments, is the foundation of the Christian faith?

Last edited:
Galatians 2:16 - Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I would personally say that the confessional Lutheran might be relying on works rather then faith, if I'm understanding what you wrote correctly. It seems to me, from what you wrote, that the confessional Lutheran believes that he or she has to go to the Church's Worship Service to be reconciled with God through the means of grace that is provided through the public proclamation of the Word and through the sacraments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back