Any thought on Donald Grey Barnhouse, Romans commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Puritan Board Freshman
I was able to pick up, like new, the 1st edition of the original 4 volume set, it is like studying the entire Bible from the perspective of the book of Romans.

Thoughts?

God bless you and keep you,
Ken

I was reading that set not too long ago and finally gave it up in frustration without finishing it. Barnhouse (1895-1960) was a dispenationalist (at a time when dispensationalism had made severe inroads into the Reformed camp). I gave up the set when he made the blunt statement that it was unfortunate that the Reformed had made creeds and confessions so important.

And, as a bonus: you won't get much of an exposition of Romans in that set, either, precisely because he spends so much time ranging widely over other subjects - not to mention all the personal stories he has to tell.

There are many more, better books on Romans to spend your time on. (One suggestion: John R. W. Stott's commentary.)

So, no: not recommended.

My beloved Pastor, D. James Kennedy, heard Barnhouse over the radio one morning and gave his heart to the Lord. The rest is history.

For alternates to some of the standards generally set out for Romans (Haldane, Hodge, etc.) I can recommend Rev. William S. Plumer, and Prof. John Murray. I believe you'll find both of these very insightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back