Anybody read the old Paleocons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Does anyone here identify themselves in this tradition? Have you read any of these authors?

Richard Weaver
The Agrarians
Russell Kirk

I've read a lot of Richard Weaver and some Russel Kirk, but "identify" with them only in that I'm sympathetic to a lot of their conclusions. The worldview that supports those conclusions, though, is obviously quite different from my own.

It's been enjoyable reading, but I confess I skimmed a good bit of both, after finding them quite content to make a one paragraph point in 10 pages. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone here identify themselves in this tradition? Have you read any of these authors?

Richard Weaver
The Agrarians
Russell Kirk

I've read bits from all of them, though I tend to think of Weaver and Kirk as venerable contemporaries because they died in my lifetime. I like them a lot, along with others like Wendell Berry.

But I remain a Westerner rather than a Southerner. There is a lot of overlap, but some subtle differences. I think it boils down to Southerners have a culture with a stronger emphasis on history, family, and place, whereas Westerners (intermountain west) think more in terms of continual migration, pragmatism, and, to some extent, running from their past. (A great number of settlers did just that). So it leads to a different kind of neighborliness: you help each other out, sometimes at great sacrifice, but you rarely ask questions about a person's past or private affairs. So there's a certain resptectful aloofness that is different from the Southern heritage.

Richard Weaver
The Agrarians
Russell Kirk

I had the pleasure of spending time with Russell Kirk before he died, when he and his wife visited our debating society in Chicago.

I have heard of Pat Buchanan being called a Paleocon. Would that be an accurate description given that the previously mentioned authors help define Paleoconservatism?

I have heard of Pat Buchanan being called a Paleocon. Would that be an accurate description given that the previously mentioned authors help define Paleoconservatism?

Yes, sort of. He has always said good things except for the recent endorsement of Romney.

Buchanan's foreign policy could be considered paleocon. Not so sure about his domestic policy though, although I don't think paleocons necessarily were libertarians when it came to economics.

Weaver, most everything.:up:

Kirk, Yes.:up::up:

Argrarians,
Alan Tate:up:,
John Crowe Ransom:up:,
Andrew Nelson Lytle:up:,
other than those three only the esays in "I'll Take my Stand"

I've read some Kirk, hardly any of Weaver and the Agrarians at all.

Weaver is good to read, but some of the Agrarians can be wordy and annoying after a while. There are about 3 essays in I'll Take My Stand that are really on target. The rest are too verbose for me.

Let me see if I get it right:
The intellectual heavyweights for the Paleocons are Weaver, Kirk, Edmund Burke, and Lord Acton.

The intellectual heavyweights for the Neo-cons are Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly. Both sides seem evenly matched.

I've read some Kirk, hardly any of Weaver and the Agrarians at all.

Weaver is good to read, but some of the Agrarians can be wordy and annoying after a while. There are about 3 essays in I'll Take My Stand that are really on target. The rest are too verbose for me.

Remember that Agrarianism is primarily a movement of writers. Read some of Tate & Ransom (for example) as poets or critics to get a true sense of the movement.

Too often people reduce them to political philosophers or social critics only. If you only read "the Hind Tit" you do not really "know" Lyttle in any signifigant way. Read some of his biographys & history to get a better sense of what values he places on 'place' and tradition.

For me my real first insight into the movement came from reading a ghost story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back