Anyone else snowed in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatherineL

Puritan Board Freshman
Snow is about 2.5 feet outside our front door right now and still coming down. I'm thinking our Wisconsin-born pastor may actually have to cancel church this time...

Catherine, I'm about 25 miles north of you. I measured 34.5" of snow on my driveway. I shoveled, in stages, today and only managed to clear about 20' of 100' of sidewalk and porch area. That doesn't count the driveway and de-snowing our vehicles. I don't like shoveling on the Lord's Day, but somehow I think it qualifies as a work of necessity. I can't let the snow sit for two full days or it starts to freeze, which makes shoveling near impossible.

Oh, a quick tip: spray PAM or any other type of non-stick food coating on your shovels. It keeps the snow from sticking.

Snow 1-2" overnight, but cleared out today and the roads dried off nicely (after being salted by the city). Everything looks pretty good now, even the parking lot at church.

It was a wet heavy mess. They plowed @ 3:15 AM, but haven't been back to move the last foot or so. The snowblower bogged down with the slop it had to sling by the street & driveway where they had dropped salt. Maybe we can get to meeting tomorrow????

Wet and heavy is a good way to describe it. I worked for hours today and my driveway is clear after multiple passes trying to keep it from being all one massive work. My neighbor across the street helped greatly with his four wheeler with a snow blade and saved me hours of work. I'm just glad the snow has stopped because the trees were hanging very low from all the sticky snow.

Unfortunately I have no such help. Three of my neighbors pitched in and bought a snowblower this past November. They never asked me to join them. They were out there today, tossing snow 50' and smiling. Me? I'll be out there tomorrow for about 4-5 hours (with breaks). That's the way the snowflake crumbles.

Unfortunately I have no such help. Three of my neighbors pitched in and bought a snowblower this past November. They never asked me to join them. They were out there today, tossing snow 50' and smiling. Me? I'll be out there tomorrow for about 4-5 hours (with breaks). That's the way the snowflake crumbles.

I think you should go over and beat them up and take their snowblower.

I think you should go over and beat them up and take their snowblower.

At gunpoint.

In Ocean County, NJ we had about 18 inches. It ended about 3:30 PM today. My car is shoveled out and we are having one service tomorrow, just the 11 AM service. The 9:30AM service is canceled. I plan to go to church because tomorrow is the first Sunday of the month when we have also the service of the Lords Supper. We only celebrate the Lords Supper on the first Sunday, so I like to go to that service.

The nicest guy who has a contract with our community stuck with me, my family, and a bunch of my neighbors and kept on clearing our road as we dug out and threw the snow out on the road. We all have tiny yards, so there would have been absolutely no place to put it!

About 18 inches. Snowblower died towards the end, we think a belt that turns the auger. Hope to get it fixed before 9 more inches wed. All the kids cleared cars and sidewalks. Beautiful, but very cold. Should be Ok to go to church if we are careful.

I really don't miss shoveling snow. Nope, don't miss it, don't miss snow blowers, don't miss salting sidewalks, don't miss having to wash down the truck after every trip so that the body won't rust because the county in which you live uses NaCl for its roads (you've never lived until you have washed a truck using a steam cleaner and it is below 10F!).

Well, our church was cancelled after all. We meet in a public building that ended up being turned into a place for the people to stay the night. Their parking lot wasn't plowed, either.I suppose its probably a good thing since the MD and VA officials are telling everyone to stay at home.

I'm from GA - have never seen this much snow, even during our time in IL!! Will make sure to spray our snow shovel with Pam. Just *very* thankful that our power didn't go out and our munchkins are snug and warm inside (though the *really* want to go out and dig a snow fort!).

I'm shoveling in stages. 10-15 minutes of shoveling; 30 minutes of rest. My quads are killing me, that's why I can only shovel for a maximum of 15 minutes. I'm making progress. I'm within 5' of my truck. I should be able to reach my truck and my mother-in-law's Saturn and have them cleaned off before sundown. The van will just have to sit untouched until tomorrow. The street in front of my house is impassable anyway. It's not like I'm driving anywhere. Because I am trying to make use of the sunshine, we'll have family worship this evening. I really do miss being with God's people today. This is the second week in a row without worship service. The school system was closed last Lord's Day because of snow. To top it off, we have another storm coming on Tuesday/Wednesday, and the NASA weather model (forwarded to me by a friend who works at Goddard) shows the potential for significant snowfall in the Washington/Baltimore area. Uggh.

I told Doug Mixer (my pastor) that I've had it. I'm packing it in and going to Lake Buena Vista, Florida and planting Grace Reformed Baptist Church of Lake Buena Vista. I know that's my calling. Anyone want to join me?

Our latest installment of "The Great Dig Out."

[video=youtube;1QEvh32mUPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEvh32mUPQ[/video]

Right there with you Bill - well, my Dh is anyway. He just got in from shoveling for 2 hours. I'm 7 months pregnant so got the job of digging children out of snowdrifts.

Feb+Storm2010+008.JPG

Feb+Storm2010+001.JPG

Feb+Storm2010+006.JPG

Feb+Storm2010+003.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tyk2KUrH_Sw/S28Y-sH7b3I/AAAAAAAABlQ/TlmPRgtZ3_Y/s320/Jan-Feb+10+039.JPG

Somehow I can't see the Knights slaying those particular dragons. . .

Bill, you must live with a snow magnet in your yard.

Lawrence,

RE: Scarlet Knights. Greg Schiano has turned that program around. His first goal was to make it a minor bowl. Rutgers did that in 2005. His next goal was to make it a mid-level bowl. That was accomplished with a Peach Bowl invite in 2007. He has two more steps to climb: a BCS bowl, and a national championship. Schiano estimates it will take 7-10 years of consecutive bowl appearances to snatch more quality recruits in the north east. So far, his prognostications have been on the money. Watch out for Rutgers over the next few years. My person opinion? Once we beat West Virginia, we are ready to make our move.

As far as the snow magnet comment; who would ever think that Maryland would get more snow than New England this season? And it's not over yet. A storm is arriving tomorrow that could drop another 12-18" on us. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back