Anyone use E-Sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan

Puritan Board Freshman
I was just wondering if any of you used E-Sword. I consider it the best Bible software available. All for free too. If you don't use it go to www.e-sword.net. It has all the commentaries linked to each verse, daily devotionals, dictionaries, every version of the Bible you can think of, and a lot more. I find it an awesome tool for study.

I have used E-Sword for a couple of years now, maybe 3 years. It is a great program that has been extremely easy to use. It also comes with great resources!

E-sword is great, I've been using it for a few years. It offers a number of reformed add-ons which is very nice to see.

I used to use E-sword for Pocket PC (Palm Pilot, PDA's, etc). My favorite aspect of it was the "Morning & Evening" devotional by Spurgeon. I lost the program somehow and cannot seem to be able to reinstall it, much to my loss.

I think I'll check out the desktop version to which ya'll are referring. Thanks for the tip!

:up:

I enjoy it more than my purchased software. I've used it for quite sometime. I do like that it is modular, there are somethings I didn't want installed on my computer. I purchased the NASB module for $20. It's a good buy. The free ESV is also very nice.

E-Sword is a great tool. I have the following add-ons:
WCF, Matthew Henry Commentary, Calvin's Institutes, Doctrinal Works of the Reformed Tradition, The Temple - Its Ministry and Service by Alfred Edersheim. I'm planning on sending a donation to the brother who developed this software. He did an excellent job.

I have every single add-on available for E-sword... :) Adam mentioned that the commentaries were lacking; I did some searches online and found many e-sword users have taken the time to make add-on commentaries. I have found some here and there... I will look again and tell you where to find them. I am currently working on making Spurgeon's Plowman into an e-sword file. It is actually quite easy.

If I am ever feeling very bold... and have about 2 years of free time I will try and put Calvin's commentaries into an e-sword file. That would be awesome... Especially if you could link each verse to Calvin's commentaries on it. We should get a few people together and all work on putting his commentaries into an e-sword file. :)

Originally posted by Jonathan
We should get a few people together and all work on putting his commentaries into an e-sword file. :)

Is there a website that explains how to make add-ons for E-Sword? Also, does anybody know how old a work needs to be to be available as "public domain"?

Go to www.e-sword.net and go to training... it is really easy. For making a book... like the Institutes, you use the Topic Notes editor. For a commentary you use the Study Notes. The only thing is it takes a loooooong time, to make it all nice.

I was also wondering about the public domain thing. I would love to put certain books into e-sword files, but I am not entirely clear about the whole public domain thing. If someone knows that would be awesome.

[Edited on 11-30-2004 by Jonathan]

http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/comment3/comm_index.htm At the bottom it says that they are public domain.

I think I will start on them soon :). How nice would it be to have Calvin hooked up to E-sword. The only problem with making commentaries for e-sword is that it takes quite a bit of work. I think I could only link up to one chapter a day in Calvin's commentaries... that would take like... how long.... 19 years?

Originally posted by JonathanIf I am ever feeling very bold... and have about 2 years of free time I will try and put Calvin's commentaries into an e-sword file. That would be awesome... Especially if you could link each verse to Calvin's commentaries on it. We should get a few people together and all work on putting his commentaries into an e-sword file. :)

Sounds like a great idea! That would be awesome! I love John Gill's exposition of the Bible. I have quoted him numerous times. The addition of Calvin's commentaries would make e-Sword even more useful. For example, quick access to his commentary on the Genesis creation account, would make it easier to answer people who misquote or misinterprete him.

I've used e-sword for a while, and also like it more than my purchased software. And, if you ever get Calvin's commentaries in an e-sword file, let us know. That would be AWESOME! :)

We have it, but hubby didn't like it as much (possibly because we don't have any of the addons)...we have SwordSearcher, which I bought for $10 and he loves it.

Originally posted by bond-servant
I've used e-sword for a while, and also like it more than my purchased software. And, if you ever get Calvin's commentaries in an e-sword file, let us know. That would be AWESOME! :)

I've decided to start working on Calvin's commentaries myself. I'm beginning with the book of Romans, and so far, I only have Romans Chapter 1 done...and Genesis 1:1. If enough people were to work on it, it could be done in a matter on months. I'm using the text I've downloaded from http://www.ccel.org/index/author-C.html I'm manually copying and pasting the text into study notes. What I'll do is save a copy of the original notes file and then convert the NOT file into a CMT file with CMT Editor v.3.3 http://www.dnspad.com/engine/index.php?subcat=8&PHPSESSID=35dbfa239588e4e6b424de3cc38242b3

:D

The text will appear as follows:

9. "For God is my witness, etc. He proves his love by its effects; for had he not greatly loved them, he would not have so anxiously commended them to the Lord, and especially he would not have so ardently desired to promote their welfare by his own labors. His anxiety then and his ardent desire were certain evidences of his love; for had they not sprung from it, they would never have existed. And as he knew it to be necessary for establishing confidence in his preaching, that the Romans should be fully persuaded of his sincerity, he added an oath "” a needful remedy, whenever a declaration, Which ought to be received as true and indubitable vacillates through uncertainty. For since an oath is nothing else but an appeal to God as to the truth of what we declare, most foolish is it to deny that the Apostle used here an oath. He did not notwithstanding transgress the prohibition of Christ.

It hence appears that it was not Christ´s design (as the Superstitious Anabaptists dream) to abolish oaths altogether, but on the contrary to call attention to the due observance of the law; and the law, allowing an oath, only condemns perjury and needless swearing. If then we would use an oath aright, let us imitate the seriousness and the reverent manner exhibited by the Apostles; and that you may understand what it is, know that God is so called as a witness, that he is also appealed to as an avenger, in case we deceive; which Paul expresses elsewhere in these words,

[align=center]"œGod is a witness to my soul." (2 Corinthians 1:23.) [/align]

Whom I serve with my spirit, etc. It is usual with profane men, who trifle with God, to pretend his name, no less boldly than presumptuously; but the Apostle here speaks of his own piety, in order to gain credit; and those, in whom the fear of God and reverence for his name prevail, will dread to swear falsely. At the same time, he sets his own spirit in opposition to the outward mask of religion; for as many falsely pretend to be the worshippers of God, and outwardly appear to be so, he testifies that he, from the heart served, God. It may be also that he alluded to the ancient ceremonies, in which alone the Jews thought the worship of God consisted. He then intimates, that though he retained not observance of these, he was yet a sincere worshipper of God, according to what he says in Philippians 3:3,

[align=center]"œWe are the true circumcision, who in spirit serve God,
and glory not in the flesh."
[/align]

He then glories that he served God with sincere devotion of heart, which is true religion and approved worship.

But it was expedient, as I have said, in order that his oath might attain more credit, that Paul should declare his piety towards God; for perjury is a sport to the ungodly, while the pious dread it more than a thousand deaths; inasmuch as it cannot be, but that where there is a real fear of God, there must be also a reverence for his name. It is then the same thing, as though Paul had said, that he knew how much sacredness and sincerity belonged to an oath, and that he did not rashly appeal to God as a witness, as the profane are wont to do. And thus, by his own example, he teaches us, that whenever we swear, we ought to give such evidence of piety, that the name of God, which we use in our declarations, may retain its sacredness. And further, he gives a proof, even by his own ministry, that he worshipped not God feignedly; for it was the fullest evidence, that he was a man devoted to God´s glory, when he denied himself, and hesitated not to undergo all the hardships of reproach, poverty, and hatred, and even the peril of death, in advancing the kingdom of God.

Some take this clause, as though Paul intended to recommend that worship which he said he rendered to God, on this account, "” because it corresponded with what the gospel prescribes. It is indeed certain that spiritual worship is enjoined on us in the gospel; but the former interpretation is far the most suitable, "” that he devoted his service to God in preaching the gospel. He, however, makes at the same time a difference between himself and hypocrites, who have something else in view rather than to serve God; for ambition, or some such thing, influences most men; and it is far from being the case, that all engage cordially and faithfully in this office. The meaning is, that Paul performed sincerely the office of teaching; for what he says of his own devotion he applies to this subject.

But we hence gather a profitable doctrine; for it ought to add no little encouragement to the ministers of the gospel, when they hear that, in preaching the gospel, they render an acceptable and a valuable service to God. What, indeed, is there to prevent them from regarding it an excellent service, when they know that their labor is pleasing to God, and is approved by him? Moreover, he calls it the gospel of the Son of God; for Christ is in it made known, who has been appointed by the Father for this end, "” that he, being glorified, should also glorify the Father.

That continually, etc. He still further sets forth the ardor of his love by his very constancy in praying for them. It was, indeed, a strong evidence, when he poured forth no prayers to the Lord without making mention of them. That the meaning may be clearer, I render pantote (except in Koine Greek), "œalways;" as though it was said, "œIn all my prayers," or, "œwhenever I address God in prayer, I join a mention of you." Now he speaks not of every kind of calling on God, but of those prayers to which the saints, being at liberty, and laying aside all cares, apply their whole attention to the work; for he might have often expressed suddenly this or that wish, when the Romans did not come into his mind; but whenever he had previously intended, and, as it were, prepared himself to offer up prayers to God, among others he remembered them. He then speaks peculiarly of those prayers, for which the saints deliberately prepare themselves; as we find to have been the case with our Lord himself, who, for this purpose, sought retirement. He at the same time intimates how frequently, or rather, how unceasingly he was engaged in such prayers, since he says that he prayed continually."

1689 LBCF and e-Sword

FYI:

I haven't found the 1689 LBCF either so I've been working on putting it (w/ Scripture references) into an e-Sword .top file.

Hello,
I have been working on Calvin for ESword as well and have John - Jude completed. I have started on The Harmony of the Gospels but it is a little more difficult because of the way it is organized. I am using the .htm files from ccel.org and CMT Editor 3.3. I zoomed through what I have so there maybe cut and paste type or hebrew/greek mistakes. My thought was to get it done as quickly as I could then go back and correct where I messed up.

The file is over 5mb zipped up but I can email it to those interested. With some help, I think we could finish all of Calvin's Commentaries in little time.

Nate

Nate,
:handshake:

I too have been working with Apologist4Him [Andrew] on Calvin's commentaries and have been working on the book of Hebrews. I have had trouble getting the right font colors and formatting (Greek/Hebrew) to come across properly from either .not files or even directly from the rich text format via CMTeditor. I don't want to spend alot of time working on this only to find out later that I have to start over so I have taken the time to study how the programming works and there seems to be a difference in the formatting tables for .cmt files and .not files. For example the font color tables seem to be defined differently. If I view the rich text code generated via the .NOT the color code for navy is "\cf1"; however, when converting that to the .CMT navy is instead "\cf9". "\cf1" renders as black in the .CMT. I have also seen fonts change as well. Are you getting similar results?

[Edited on 3-22-2005 by 4ndr3w]

Hello Andrew,
The only problem I have noticed is that sometimes, the Greek is not displayed correctly. This shows up with a little box in the middle of the Greek word. Everything else seems to be working ok. Basically, I open the .htm file in Microsoft Word and cut and paste from there. I then run the Scripture Tooltip function which correctly changes all of the Scripture to the ESword format and displays in green. If you like, I would be happy to email you what I have.

Originally posted by 4ndr3w
Nate,
:handshake:

I too have been working with Apologist4Him [Andrew] on Calvin's commentaries and have been working on the book of Hebrews. I have had trouble getting the right font colors and formatting (Greek/Hebrew) to come across properly from either .not files or even directly from the rich text format via CMTeditor. I don't want to spend alot of time working on this only to find out later that I have to start over so I have taken the time to study how the programming works and there seems to be a difference in the formatting tables for .cmt files and .not files. For example the font color tables seem to be defined differently. If I view the rich text code generated via the .NOT the color code for navy is "\cf1"; however, when converting that to the .CMT navy is instead "\cf9". "\cf1" renders as black in the .CMT. I have also seen fonts change as well. Are you getting similar results?

Hey Andrew, I'm sorry I havn't got around to responding to your last email. I became busy, and it looks like I'm going to be busy for awhile without time to work on Calvin's Commentaries. I decided to debate TAG with a non-believer on another website. Between my job, preparing meals, and doing laundry (and other chores), and researching and studying for the debate, and a little time to relax, I will have a busy schedule for awhile.

But in reading your email and latest response in this thread, you are way ahead of me. Your knowledge of programming far exceeds mine. Let's just say, I wouldn't have fun with a "Programming for Dummies" book. :lol:

I am interested in the project, at some point I may have a fair amount of time on my hands, if you can, please keep us updated.

Thx :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back