Appropriate Expressions instead of Profanity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritan Sailor

Puritan Board Doctor
Question for practical application:
It has become commonplace in Western culture, and sadly even in much of the Church to voice outrage, frustration, or shock by using God's names in vain, minced oaths, or other crude profanities. I was exposed to this a lot while serving in the Navy decades ago, but now it seems even the common population is learning to "swear like a sailor" in normal conversation, most likely reinforced by entertainment media. Obviously, these corrupt utterances have no place in a Christian's mouth (or heart).

But what would be an appropriate way to voice outrage or shock in the moment without profanity or cursing? Is it possible to do such in a righteous way, or should we just seek to remain silent, and direct our hearts to God, until we can say something edifying? Much of this involves Paul's exhortation to "be angry and not sin" and "let no corrupt word proceed from your mouth" (Eph. 4).

Appreciate any insights from you all.

Although this doesn’t directly answer your question, J. G. Vos has a helpful relevant comment on WLC 113. I apologize for having to post a picture; my PDF wasn’t allowing the copying of text correctly.

7780F29A-61D5-4B62-B77B-0882AFE982DA.jpeg

We had a foster child from a rough background one time. We trained him to say, "Oh, expletive" whenever he felt the urge to use one. At least as a first step it was a low-impact way both to provide some critical distance from the emotion that produced expletives, and a practical way to eliminate the deployment of language that was manifestly inappropriate.

Hendrick Krabbendam, a professor at Covenant College had a phrase, "The heart of the problem is a problem of the heart". Often our heart expresses things like expletives which aren't actually uttered. The key is where is one's heart.

We must avoid assaults of every sort, including verbal assaults. There are less refined ways of verbal assault and more refined ways of verbal assault. One of the more refined ways that some of us employ is simply out-talking someone with whom we are frustrated, perhaps using fine, even theological words, failing to listen, intent never to yield.

Similarly, we need self-control in circumstances unpleasant or unchosen that amount, when we lack such, to a verbal assault against God, either through direct vain usage of his name or anything that is a veiled instance of that, such as a minced oath. We need spirits that are humble and under control, so even saying "fiddlesticks" or the like, as did Scarlet O'Hara frequently, manifests a lack of self-control.

Self-control, or temperance (as the KJV) has it, is part of the nine-fold fruit of the Spirit, which in an era lionizing self-expression and regarding self-control as hypocrisy (if you feel it, do it!), is eschewed by the flesh. People wring their hands over Mr. Smith striking Mr. Rock and then saying what he did at some sort of awards program held on the Lord's Day. In fact, many decrying Mr. Smith are hypocrites, often doing just what they will with their words (and perhaps even in acts of violence): every one of us lacks self-control natively, even if it's kept inward and doesn't show outwardly (per Prof. Krabbendam).

I need to die every day, every minute, to the temptations, in greater or lesser ways, inwardly or outwardly, to assault God and my neighbor with my words. These are the works of the flesh, and only the fruit of the Spirit, produced as we humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God (and stop seeking to exalt ourselves), will suffice to keep us from this desire to express ourselves in self-exalting ways that are hateful to God and to our new natures.

Thus, the answer to appropriate expressions of speech is found in Ephesians 4: 25 in speaking the truth, and doing so in the way held forth in vv. 29-32. As I realize that, I realize I've only made a "small beginning" of obedience to God's commands (HC 114). We all have a long way to go! This is not counsel to despair but heartily to engage the work of mortification and vivification always needed, perhaps more plainly seen in a highly partisan age like ours, marked by such elevated tempers and outbursts of anger.

Peace,
Alan

Speaketh ye of the Anglo-Saxon monosylables?

Isaiah 36:12 (KJV) should be consulted for appropriate language.

When I was a teen and also in the army I used expletives. I conquered this habit for 20+ years. When I got sick, and I mean very sick, it came back upon me in a humbling fashion and I found myself cussing again due to extreme and severe pain that warped my body into a spasm.

What to say when your body rebels against you and twists and spasms and causes you to black out? Forgive me, Lord. I feel so much guilt at all of my failures.

We humans are so weak and daily need the grace of God. Failings like this are a reminder of how much we need the grace of God. I can only hope in a kind and gentle Saviour, our Lord Jesus.

It is a reminder that our own sense of righteousness flees when an overwhelming wave of pain hits. The FINAL words of many in this life before they die are expletives and curses and this is very sobering. The last words of many in this life before a car crash or accident kills them are expletives. Extreme pain can also do this to a person. We can only pray for God's forgiveness. I want to utter praises to God when I die, but when pain has crushed my body sometimes I have uttered "curse words" - it is only in the mercy and kindness of Jesus that we can endure.

I want to lash out. But he was put to the cross and yet prayed for his persecutors. How great is our Saviour and how unimaginable is his love for us. We can never match it. I love you Lord, please make me more like yourself, even in my chronic pain. He amazes me by his gentleness and kindness.

Last edited:
I used to know a guy that replaced it with common words that could not be confused with curse words. He would use the phrase "hamburger" or "pan sausage".

A calm and measured response, devoid of caustic language, can sometimes have surprising but welcomed results. When everyone else is losing their head, the one who keeps his can bring glory to God.

Question for practical application:
It has become commonplace in Western culture, and sadly even in much of the Church to voice outrage, frustration, or shock by using God's names in vain, minced oaths, or other crude profanities. I was exposed to this a lot while serving in the Navy decades ago, but now it seems even the common population is learning to "swear like a sailor" in normal conversation, most likely reinforced by entertainment media. Obviously, these corrupt utterances have no place in a Christian's mouth (or heart).

But what would be an appropriate way to voice outrage or shock in the moment without profanity or cursing? Is it possible to do such in a righteous way, or should we just seek to remain silent, and direct our hearts to God, until we can say something edifying? Much of this involves Paul's exhortation to "be angry and not sin" and "let no corrupt word proceed from your mouth" (Eph. 4).

Appreciate any insights from you all.

I am glad for the question, it is one I have often had. While the answers given so far are good insofar as they outline the problems with "minced oaths" and also call believers to self-control (and I do take both to heart), I have always maintained that there must be an appropriate way to express surprise, shock, and/or sudden displeasure. I am interested to know whether someone would dispute that point, and if not, what are some examples of appropriate expressions in those situations.

When I was in high school my friend and I decided that "Mustard" was an all-purpose expletive. The tone of voice conveyed the particular meaning.

Surprisingly, it caught on to the point that 4 years after I had graduated, I was invited back to be a debate judge. I heard "Mustard" being used by students in the halls.

My favorite surprise utterance is simply "Ouch" in a deadpan voice.

In extreme circumstances, I can't see anything wrong with Isaiah's "Oy" in Isaiah 6:5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back