Are you all obedience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Sermons from 1 Peter 1:1-4), Works 4:96:

Are you all obedience? A sanctified man is all obedience. I do not mean that he obeys in all things as he would, but he would obey in all things. He was a sanctified man, and sanctified by the Spirit to obedience, who said, With my mind I serve the law of God, but with my flesh the law of sin, Rom. 7:25. He had rebelling corruption remaining within him, and he had grace within him striving against it. There are many people who find it to be so with them; they have light and darkness, corruption and grace within them. “How shall I know if mine be of the right sort?” There is one thing I would tell you. If, when you come far short of what you would be at, you are ashamed of it, and afraid of it, and are best pleased at heart when your obedience is greatest, and are most sorry when your disobedience is greatest and when sin prevails, – this is a mark that never fails. For an honest-hearted Christian, when sin is lowest, his heart is highest in joy. When grace is lowest, the man is lowest in his frame. He is rejoiced when he can get his enemies under his feet, and is ashamed when he is under theirs. When sin prevails, the man is abased; when grace prevails over sin, the man rejoices therein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back