Arminian scholars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also reading good theology can be difficult. It takes work and patience. Going in to Walmart and grabbing the latest "Christian" bestseller takes minimal effort and rarely more than $13 bucks. Those types of books are also aimed at making the reader feel good about his/herself rather than pointing to Christ.

The irony remains that some of the best theology ever produced can be read for free on the Internet.
 
I think that something that should be pointed out..and you can correct me if you want, but the modern forms of what we today would call "arminianism" is fairly removed from the classical form. The classical form though espousing theology that we believe to be wrong was still rather conservative, and I'm sure Jacobus Arminius would be rolling over in his grave to see what was being taught in the name of his "theological" tradition ;)
 
Roger Olson has stated that what passes for "Arminianism" today is really semi-Pelagianism. Classical Arminianism is much different.
 
I think that something that should be pointed out..and you can correct me if you want, but the modern forms of what we today would call "arminianism" is fairly removed from the classical form. The classical form though espousing theology that we believe to be wrong was still rather conservative, and I'm sure Jacobus Arminius would be rolling over in his grave to see what was being taught in the name of his "theological" tradition

I think Calvin would be in a similar position. I was a Determinist and didn't believe in any meaningful sense of free will when I "converted" to what I understood Calvinism to be. I based it on physics and my understanding of psychology.
 
Keep in mind, however, that when most people speak of "Arminianism," they have the modern view in mind rather than the classical view. I would suspect that there are probably very few classical Arminians, and most of them may be confined to academia.
 
Are there any modern Arminian scholars (producing scholarship with knowledge of the biblical languages) worthy of reading?

Urban myth.

I then asked him to recommend a few and he couldn't think of anyone but assured me they must exist.

Just keep reading the good stuff till he comes back with a name.

"There are too many good Puritans to read, and life is too short, to bother with much else."

I said that!

EDIT: Charlie ! You went and ruined the mood !

I do not typically when judging a person’s scholarship look at first if the person is a Calvinist, or what we typically consider today to be an Arminian. I start out by looking at their area of expertise and quality of their work that they produce. We should not write them off just because they are not a Calvinist, for we too can and should be willing to learn something by them. Therefore I do not dwell on that particular aspect of their theological position, but instead look at their work. As a result there are several scholars, whom I respect, that I do not know what their position is. One example is with Craig S. Keener, I do not know where he falls in the spectrum, but I thought The IVP Bible Background Commentary was useful and worth buying. There have been several Calvinists who’s work I have read, and yet I was not satisfied with their treatment of a text or historical issue. I will not be throwing names around. Let us keep this post at what it was meant for that that is to discuss, and this is modern Arminian scholars knowledgeable of the biblical languages that are worth reading; instead of using this time to say that they are not scholars or go into Remonstrate. If you do not know of any worth reading then acknowledge that and move on.
 
Let us keep this post at what it was meant for that that is to discuss, and this is modern Arminian scholars knowledgeable of the biblical languages that are worth reading; instead of using this time to say that they are not scholars or go into Remonstrate. If you do not know of any worth reading then acknowledge that and move on.

This.
 
I just remembered Grant Osborne. I read his Hermeneutical Spiral and found his grasp of language very very good. I would assume his other writings would be along the same line of scholarship.
 
Thinking back, before I changed theological camps, one of the shocking discoveries to me at the time was (is) the lack of...systematic theology (and advanced theology) books by Arminian scholars. I am amazed by the number of volumes written by John Calvin, even those in the Arminian camp should acknowledge his love for Scripture. I do not know of any one person who has written more commentary on the Scriptures than John Calvin.
 
I was going to name William Lane Craig (though he calls himself a "Molinist")

Probably because he is a Molinist. The tenets proposed both by classical and modern Arminians are far cries from God's alleged "Middle Knowledge."
 
I have heard good things about Francis Watson's Institutes, though of course they are not a product of contemporary Arminian scholarship.
 
I would suggest to simply read Jacobus Arminius. He is the closest you will get to Orthodox Arminian Theology. Oddly, Jacobus actually believed in Total Depravity :O I also believe that it was the 5 points of Arminius that caused...er...I can't remember the name of the synod, but the 5 points of calvinism came about in opposition to his 5 points.

As I recall, Arminius was not definite on the issue of losing salvation. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top