Arthur Hildersham's Book Reprinted in Modern Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm wondering about this book: CLII Lectures Upon Psalm LI by Arthur Hildersham (London: J. Raworth, for Edward Brewster, 1642). It's more than 700 pages long, at least. Sounds like an interesting work.

I'd be Chris Coldwell knows the answer.

I don't think it has been done in a modern edition or any time after the 17th century when two English and one Dutch edition were done. Since you mentioned me, I am contemplating a new series of books using crowdfunding, which is the only way you could cover the labor and cost of these huge puritan books. I do have a working file on the Hildersam (I've been spelling it wrong too apparently) on Psalm 51, but it's rough in a huge (I mean bigly) way. It would be a lot of work and I have to think I have only so much time to pull any large work off. And folks would kill me if I don't do Durham on Revelation before any other huge works.

Last edited:
I don't think anything substantial has been done by him (i.e. long), but should be (Song of Songs, Psalm 51, John 4). I have in my "list" a nugget from a work he did on worship which I'm starting to deal with, but most of his works are really long, filled with hundred of footnotes, technical jargon, etc. Even most Reformed Christians are not going to read him because of that. But there are a number of gold nuggets from him that ought to be published.

RHB published two short pieces by him (one on children and one on fasting), but past that, he's relatively unknown today among the puritans.

I'm told by someone that RHB has someone working on both John 4 and Psalm 51 by Hildersam/sham. So I can mark that off my bucket list for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back