August 17 in Church History

Status
Not open for further replies.
covflag2cw.jpg

FCCAC

It was on August 17, 1662, the last Lord's Day Puritans were allowed to preach in the Church of England before the Act of Uniformity took effect on St. Bartholomew's Day, August 24, 1662, that many Puritans preached their farewell sermons. Two thousand Puritans were ejected on that sad occasion.

Samuel Pepys wrote in his diary that day:

Sunday 17 August 1662

(Lord´s day). Up very early, this being the last Sunday that the Presbyterians are to preach, unless they read the new Common Prayer and renounce the Covenant,1 and so I had a mind to hear Dr. Bates´s farewell sermon, and walked thither,
His text was, "œNow the God of Peace"”;" the last Hebrews, and the 20th verse: he making a very good sermon, and very little reflections in it to any thing of the times.
He pursued his text again very well; and only at the conclusion told us, after this manner: "œI do believe that many of you do expect that I should say something to you in reference to the time, this being the last time that possibly I may appear here. You know it is not my manner to speak any thing in the pulpit that is extraneous to my text and business; yet this I shall say, that it is not my opinion, fashion, or humour that keeps me from complying with what is required of us; but something which, after much prayer, discourse, and study yet remains unsatisfied, and commands me herein. Wherefore, if it is my unhappiness not to receive such an illumination as should direct me to do otherwise, I know no reason why men should not pardon me in this world, and am confident that God will pardon me for it in the next." And so he concluded. Parson Herring read a psalm and chapters before sermon; and one was the chapter in the Acts, where the story of Ananias and Sapphira is. And after he had done, says he, "œThis is just the case of England at present. God he bids us to preach, and men bid us not to preach; and if we do, we are to be imprisoned and further punished. All that I can say to it is, that I beg your prayers, and the prayers of all good Christians, for us." This was all the exposition he made of the chapter in these very words, and no more. I was much pleased with Dr. Bates´s manner of bringing in the Lord´s Prayer after his own; thus, "œIn whose comprehensive words we sum up all our imperfect desires; saying, "˜Our Father,´" &c.

Some notes on Pepys' diary at this point:

"œDr Bates´s farewell sermon"

L&M note: "œThe sermon (on Heb., xiii.20-1) was printed in *A compleat collection of farewel sermons"¦(1663); PL 1168.

The KJV text is: "œNow the God of peace, that brought again from the dead, our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

This text is not Lectionary "” the Epistle "œto be read," prescribed for this Sunday by the Book of Common Prayer "” and is therefore prima facie nonconformist "”; but surely it was inspired!! "” addressing the day of conflict in most pacific terms, bespeaking the spirit of the man and his attitude toward the times as far as we know it.
"œI"¦am confident that God will pardon me for it in the next."

L&M note: "œPepys had a MS. copy of the sermon, or notes he had taken himself. The printed version (op. cit., n.p.) ran: "˜I know you should expect I say something, as to my nonconformity. I shall onley [sic] say this much, it is neither fancy, faction, nor humour,. that makes me not comply, but meerly [sic] for offending God. And if after the best means used for my illumination, as prayer to God, discourse, study, *I* am not able to be satisfied concerning the lawfulness of what is required; if it be my unhappiness to be in error, surely *men* will have no reason to be angry with me in this world, and *I* hope *God* will pardon me in the next.´"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back