Augustine - the Church is full of good and bad Christians alike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
So listen to me, O you freshly born children of a chaste mother… Because you were once darkness, but now light in the Lord, stick close to the children of light; and let me put it quite plainly: stick close to those of the faithful who are good. Because there are, you see, and this is a sad and sorry fact, a number of the faithful who are bad. They are the faithful who are called so, and are not really so. They are the faithful by whom the sacraments of Christ are misused; who live in such a way that they both perish themselves and ruin others. They perish themselves by living bad lives; while they ruin others by setting them the example of living bad lives. So you, then, dearly beloved, see you don't join such people. Seek out the good ones, stick close to the good ones, be good ones yourselves.
Don't be surprised, either, at how many bad Christians there are, who fill the church, who communicate at the altar, who loudly praise the bishop or the priest when he preaches about good morals; who fulfill what the one who gathers us together foretold in the psalm: I announced, and I spoke; they have multiplied above number (Ps 40:5). They can be with us in the Church of this time; but in that Church which will come into being after the resurrection, they will be unable to be gathered in with the saints.
The Church of this time, you see, is compared to a threshing-floor, having on it grain mixed with chaff, having bad members mixed with good; after the judgment it will have all the good members, without any bad ones. This threshing-floor holds the harvest sown by the apostles, watered by the teachers who followed them up till the present time, subjected to no little threshing under persecution by its enemies; but, the only stage remaining, not yet cleansed by the winnowing from above. However, the one is coming, about whom you have given back the article of the creed, From there he is going to come to judge the living and the dead; and, as the gospel states, He will have a winnowing fan in his hand, and will cleanse his threshing-floor; and he will gather his wheat together into the granary, while the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire (Lk 3:17).
You older faithful, you listen too to what I'm saying. Any of you who are grain, rejoice with trembling, and stay where you are, and don't leave the threshing-floor. Don't attempt, on your own judgment, to shake yourselves free, as it were, from the chaff; because if you want to separate yourself now from the chaff, you won't be able to stay on the threshing-floor.' And when that one comes who distinguishes infallibly between grain and chaff, he won't carry up to the granary anything he doesn't find on the threshing-floor. So it will be no good at that time for grains to boast about the ears of wheat they come from, if they have left the threshing-floor. That granary will be filled and closed. Anything left outside will be gutted by fire.
So then, dearly beloved, if you are good, you must put up with the bad; if you are bad, you must imitate the good. The fact is, on this threshing-floor grains can degenerate into chaff, and again grains can be resurrected from chaff. This sort of thing happens every day, my dear brothers and sisters; this life is full of both painful and pleasant surprises. Every day people who seemed to be good fall away and perish; and again, ones who seemed to be bad are converted and live. God, you see, does not desire the death of the wicked, but only that they may turn back and live (Ezek. 33:11).
Listen to me, grains; listen to me, those of you who are what I desire you to be. Don't let the mixture of husks depress you; they won't be with you forever. How much, anyway, is this pile of husks that is covering us? Thank God, it's very light. We only have to be grains, and however big it is, it won't crush us. God, after all, is faithful, and he will not permit us to be tempted or tried beyond our capacity, but with the trial will also provide a way out, so that we can endure (1 Cor 10:13).
Let the husks listen to me too; wherever they are, let them listen. I hope there aren't any here; but let me address them all the same, in case perhaps there are some here. So listen to me, you husks; though if you do listen, you won't be husks anymore. So listen. Let God's patience stand you in good stead. Let your association with the grains, and their advice and admonitions, make you too into grains. You are not denied the showers of God's word; don't let God's field in you be barren. So, grow green again, grow grain again, grow ripe again. The one who sowed you, after all, wishes to find full ears of corn, not empty husks.
(Sermons, 223)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back