(Auto)biographies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Pastor
I am currently in a biograhpy "mode". I've recently read Spurgeon's Autobiography and Iain Murray on Jonathan Edwards. I highly recommend both books. These were two extraordinary saints of God. As far as my taste I think I would prefer the company of Spurgeon over Edwards, but that's one of the great things about eternal life...I'll have plenty of time to visit with both of them!

Now my question: What recommendations can you give for quality bographies of Reformed preachers/theologians? Any suggestions on biograhphies of Warfield, the Puritans (one in particular or as a whole) or Reformed Baptists.

Edwards wrote one on David Brainerd. Oh, BTW, in heaven Edwards will be entirely sinless and so will you, so you might enjoy him more then. That's what I keep telling myself about folks anyway!

Originally posted by turmeric
Edwards wrote one on David Brainerd. Oh, BTW, in heaven Edwards will be entirely sinless and so will you, so you might enjoy him more then. That's what I keep telling myself about folks anyway!

The Brainerd biograhphy is definately on my list. I failed to mention that I'm considering the biograhpy on Lloyd-Jones. A bit pricey for my present situation, but I'd love to read it. Any good word on that biograhpy?

Yes, indeed, I'm sure that Edwards and I will get along in Heaven! :lol: I just prefer the humor of Spurgeon in this life. Did Edwards have any humor?!?! :lol:

Good suggestions! Familiar with all, except Brown's bio of Augustine. However, that is one figure of Christian history I want to read about.

In addition to endorsing those already mentioned, I would recommend the following biographies:

* Here I Stand by Roland Bainton (Martin Luther)

* Foxe's Book of Martyrs

* Fair Sunshine by Jock Purves (Scottish Covenanters)

* The Scots Worthies by John Howie (Scottish Covenanters)

* The Life of John Murray by Iain Murray

* Lives of the Puritans by Benjamin Brooks (3 vol.)

* Van Til: Defender of the Faith by William White, Jr.

* J. Gresham Machen by Ned Stonehouse

* Life and Campaigns of Lt. Gen. T.J. (Stonewall) Jackson by R.L. Dabney

* The Life and Letters of Robert Lewis Dabney by T.C. Johnson

* The Life and Letters of James Henley Thornwell by B.M. Palmer

* Life Work and Sermons of John L. Girardeau by George A. Blackburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back