Back to school-help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
My work place pays 100% for employees furthering their education. So I have some meetings set up with a few local Colleges (Penn State, Central Penn, one or two others) to explore what I want to take.

I want to be promoted here and my supervisor classified me as a "people and idea person", which I think sounds right. As such what degree would you recomend to go with those traits also keeping in mind that I'll still work with teens and those who work with them as well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

My work place pays 100% for employees furthering their education. So I have some meetings set up with a few local Colleges (Penn State, Central Penn, one or two others) to explore what I want to take.

I want to be promoted here and my supervisor classified me as a "people and idea person", which I think sounds right. As such what degree would you recomend to go with those traits also keeping in mind that I'll still work with teens and those who work with them as well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I don't believe that higher education should be pursued as an end in itself. That seems to be what you're suggesting. You approach it like a walk in the park, and not even mindful of what sorta degree if any you want to get. I could say a Masters in counseling, but maybe you should ask yourself how this enhances your professional capabilities if at all. Could you get many of the same benefits by simply by purchasing and reading books related to your care-giving profession. How does the time invested in the pursuit of this degree affect your day-to-day routine with family and your profession? You still have a time cost to factor in, even if the financing would be taken care of by a third party. Do you just want the challenge of pursuing a degree? Or the professional credential? Do you really need it? Does the education and training really enhance your professional ability as a care-giver. Those are tough questions to ask yourself, but worth considering.

I was in law school, and am thinking about renewing my professional studies in law one day finances pending, which admittedly costs a pretty penny. But a wise attorney once advised me that I should see a Juris Doctorate for what it is. It's a requirement that the state imposes merely as a bar to entry for the legal profession. As well, it merely teaches us the Supreme Court's Constitution, not an intricate Anglo-American legal history or principled constitutionalism. I should see it for what it is. If anything, my outside reading and undergraduate pre-law education were more integral to my being a principled attorney if that is what I am really called to do. In other words, you non-politicos and non-jurists could have a sound embrace of legal and political principles than someone educated in a law school.

When higher education becomes an end in itself, that's usually when we should discontinue institutionalized formal education, because it is becoming a waste of either time or money, or both.

Best wishes in figuring it all out.
:)

I DO NOT agree with this approach/opinion but my work place will not promote anyone to many of their supervisor positions without a degree in SOMETHING. They don't seem real concerned with what you study, they just seem to want it in your bio that you have a "degree" from somewhere in something.

When higher education becomes an end in itself, that's usually when we should discontinue institutionalized formal education, because it is becoming a waste of either time or money, or both.

I agree!

But until that happens so long as I would like a promotion I have little choice.

I DO NOT agree with this approach/opinion but my work place will not promote anyone to many of their supervisor positions without a degree in SOMETHING. They don't seem real concerned with what you study, they just seem to want it in your bio that you have a "degree" from somewhere in something.

It sounds comparable to what Ryan was refering to as a ticket to a future goal. If it really doesn't matter what the degree is in, I'd look at which field has the most interesting classes and which path is the quickest. Many degree programs allow for life experience for a significant part of their credits. Gary North has some interesting ideas for getting the degree, all the while acknowledging that the degree does not make the person.

So, I think it would be wise to see which institution and programs will allow for credit to be earned by challenge and by life experience, find the one that takes the minimum time to complete, and go for it.

If the degree is simply a means of achieving a greater position, I would recommend that you study whatever you will most enjoy. Depending on how many credits you are beginning with, your first two plus years are going to be the same no matter what you decide to major in

It sounds comparable to what Ryan was refering to as a ticket to a future goal. If it really doesn't matter what the degree is in, I'd look at which field has the most interesting classes and which path is the quickest. Many degree programs allow for life experience for a significant part of their credits. Gary North has some interesting ideas for getting the degree, all the while acknowledging that the degree does not make the person.

So, I think it would be wise to see which institution and programs will allow for credit to be earned by challenge and by life experience, find the one that takes the minimum time to complete, and go for it.

I remember hearing about life experience credits but forgot all about it. I most definitely need to check that out. Thanks for the reminder.

Adam, you may want to get counsel from someone you trust in a higher level of your organization who either has or has had the position that you desire to obtain. Each workplace has its own culture and values. A formal degree is a big investment of time and commitment. You should have some level of certainty that the degree that you pursue will get you where you want to go. You should also seek to apply what you learn as you go so that the management of your organization knows that you are now a leader that they can trust.

That sounds great Josh! I'll take that info to my first meeting with an advisor on Thursday. Steve, I will be talking to some of my managers/supervisors, thanks!

Adam, if I were you I would look and see if any of the said institutions have an adult education degree. At A&M Texarkana it's called a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (B.A.A.S.)...

I would recommend staying away from the “adult education” programs. My experience has been that the programs are academically inferior to the traditional programs. The assumed benefit, which is actually a negative, is the speed at which you might be able to proceed through the program.

I'm not sure what adult education programs with which you are familiar, but I'm in the process of getting the degree now. I take "regular" academic classes just like the other degree programs, which account for regular credit hours. It's not an accelerated program, it requires all the core classes like any "superior" degree plan and requires the same amount of effort. Then again, I'm probably just an ignoramus like the two mayors who have the same degree I'm getting. :D

Josh,

Maybe I am misunderstanding your school's site, but it seems they describe your program as an accelerated program.

Non-Traditional(Accelerated) Degree Programs

The site is basically about opinions. When it comes down to it, my post is just a worthless opinion. I have attended both traditional and non-traditional programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. It is my experience that the non-traditional (often also accelerated) programs are inferior.

I am not saying that your program is inferior, or that my program is superior to yours. Nor am I saying that you are an ignoramus, I am not in a position to comment on that. I am stating my general feelings about education programs. Those who have asked the question are free to disregard or accept opinions as they please.

As for what programs I am familiar with, here is a partial list:

University of Phoenix
The Master's College
California State University, Dominguez Hills
A Roman Catholic College
Antelope Valley College
Central Texas College
Grossmont College

I don't think my employer would care that much. I am not certain of this, but I believe a degree here is about appearance. I have 14 plus years experience in this field, but no letters next to my name "officially". So long as the degree didn't have to be listed in my employee bio as "accelerated" I don't think that would hurt me.

I didn't clearly catch the part beforehand where the promotion hedged upon having the education. In that case, I can understand and sympathize with your return to school. Go for it, if you want.

Last edited:
Assume a Masters....or Doctorate

You prob. will, at some point pursue a Masters degree, and although, like has been said, you could learn more on your own, if you want to continue in your field, running organizations, and/or starting your own, and/or even writing books on the subject, you def. will be helped by the letters after your name....prob. even the Doctorate will be needed.....and I would get a degree that will set you up for Professional Counseling....in CA, the M.S. in Social Services, like my wife has, allows her to get a clinical license, which allows one to be a professional counselor....in your field it just makes sense, we may not agree with the world's Psychological principles, but, a degree in Child Psychology, will give you understanding of the teachings, and def. be a huge plus in your field.......and it's interesting. Just some thoughts. Look around there may be a biblical counseling degree??????

Just my :2cents:

Make sure, Adam, whatever you do, that it contains at least an element of stuff you really enjoy. Part time study is really hard, I have just finished my batchelor's degree after six years work.

JH

Last edited:
Adam do Journalism with a Minor in History. You have a good hand at writing and expressing himself. If you further enhance your journalistic skills and get deeply involved in 1st century history, he can be our resident Kenneth Gentry, and a plague for Dispensationalists.

Anyway enough of my personal opinions. Now to the nitty gritty. 100% tuition reimbursement with an opportunity to go to Penn State? This is obviously an opportunity that God has provided that you should not take lightly. I see countless opportunities for you to witness, make new contacts, expand your scope, and above all increase your knowledge in a respective field which God can use to further His kingdom. Don't take this lightly, and merely as a chance to,"get a degree". It is much more weighty than that.

Wow, I am so impressed with the advice here and it's so much part of the reason I love this board! I am taking notes from all the advice and meeting with PSU and also Duqesne University as well (maybe I shouldn't use Duqesne as it is Roman from what I understand, but they offer courses here at my work place twice a week!)

Does your employer have a maximum amount of reimbursement each year? I spend a good portion of my time making payment plans for students, and one thing that always causes problems is the limit that the employer places on tuition. Some will pay for as much as the student will handle, while others pay 100% up to a measly $2500 per year. Not much when one credit costs $729.

Does your employer have a maximum amount of reimbursement each year? I spend a good portion of my time making payment plans for students, and one thing that always causes problems is the limit that the employer places on tuition. Some will pay for as much as the student will handle, while others pay 100% up to a measly $2500 per year. Not much when one credit costs $729.

Pretty sure there's no limit.

My wife and I are leaning heavily toward Psychology. It fits our job well.

Adam,

You work with youth, so why not pursue something like Counseling (LCSW), or Business Adminstration (you do want to run your own homes one day correct??)

Maybe choose one as a major and the other as a minor? or you could work towards one degree while you wife works towards the other?

Then you or your wife could apply for a small business loan, having the educational background in both areas, and from what I understand you have the basic business plan on how you would want to run the houses already made up, so it could all play in together...

I can also see where the benefits of a college education would come in handy, these young ladies look up to you as an example, and they could watch and learn from you and your wife working together towards a common goal, and learn to prioritize family and schooling. And it could also encourage them to work harder in school so that they may consider going to college as well.

And both of those degrees would benefit the company you are currently with now as well, where promotions within are concerned.

So even if you eventually decide God is not leading you to open your own home, your degree would still be benefical to your employment.

Pretty sure there's no limit.

My wife and I are leaning heavily toward Psychology. It fits our job well.

:up: - that or an Education degree - or major in one, minor in the other.

Oh - and a Bus Admin is not a bad idea, either.

Blessings, either way! :handshake:

(BTW: my grad degrees are in music and they COUNT for my benefits, promotions, etc as an executive with a Defense contractor...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back