Originally posted by Authorised
[derail]
Sorry to derail the thread, but Andrew, I disagree with your analysis of that Shakespeare passage. At this point Hamlet is feigning madness in front of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, because he knows that they are doing the work of Claudius.
I think that quotation is actually sarcastic, mainly because of the horrible events that occured before it, enough for Hamlet to exclaim that "Denmark's a prison."
[/derail]
[Edited on 4-22-2005 by Authorised]
Thanks for your input, Aaron. I didn't give much in the way of analysis, but I'll be glad to say a word or two about why I cited Shakespeare and Hamlet.
It's very easy to interpret Shakespeare in different ways. I wouldn't say that my understanding is the definitive one. But I do think it's too simplistic to dismiss what Hamlet said as mere "sarcasm."
Irony what I see in his words given the context. His friends were not the ideal man that Hamlet speaks of, yet that does not diminish the eloquent and profound truth of which he (and Shakespeare) is uttering. His words ought to have cut his friends to the quick with respect to how far short they fall from the glory of man as Hamlet described. Certainly the gulf between man's nobility according to Hamlet and the character of his friends is evident to the audience. But, as I said, the truth of what Hamlet said, remains.
Certainly, Hamlet is a play in which there is a contrast between words uttered and the true reality beneath. And that is often the case in Shakespeare's dramas. But I think it would too cynical to dismiss idealistic statements by his characters as just sarcasm only. That may be a "glass-is-half-empty" interpretation, and I may be prone to a "glass-is-half-full" perspective on Shakespeare/Hamlet, but be that as it may, Hamlet's words, standing alone, express a profound truth.
This
essay addresses some of my points with respect to Hamlet.
Regardless of Hamlet's or Shakespeare's motivations -- it was not my original intent to address that -- the nobility of man as Hamlet described reflects glory to his Maker. If a prince of Denmark and an English playwright can recognize that -- and who knows whether Shakespeare was a believer or not? -- one who lacks thankfulness to his Maker for the way he is made can use a reminder from the world of men that man is truly a noble creation and with humility and thankfulness glorify God.
More to the point, the Bible says so authoritatively:
Gen. 1.27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen. 1.31a And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.
Ps. 139.14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Rom. 9.20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Rev. 4.11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
and, the WSC:
Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man´s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.
and Francis Bacon:
They that deny a God destroy man's nobility; for certainly man is of kin to the beasts by his body; and, if he be not of kin to God by his spirit, his is a base and ignoble creature.
-- Francis Bacon,
Essays--Of Atheism