Bavinck Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Well, not him, personally. His book, rather.

And a fine-looking volume it is, too.

Some points:

1. Bavinck's original title and his original subtitle have both been restored: The Wonderful Works of God: Instruction in the Christian Religion According to the Reformed Confession

2. The work has not been freshly translated, but Henry Zylstra's 1956 translation has been completely re-set in new type. Oddly, though, his name does not appear on the title page (as it most definitely should) but is buried on the copyright page. Equally oddly, the name of the person who produced the two very full indexes (subject and Scripture) does appear on the title page. First time I've seen that.

3. Bavinck's original "Foreward," left out of the 1956 publication but now freshly translated, is now included. He describes his book as "a simple explanation of the Christian faith in a book of modest scope" (p. xxxi).

3.Way in the back (pages 657-658), there is an "Acknowledgements" statement that says, in the second paragraph, that the book is "Bavinck's own abridgement of his Reformed Dogmatics." This is an unfortunate word choice, in that the book is not a one-volume abridgement of RD. Rather, it is Bavinck's summary of his understanding of Reformed theology, as written for non-academics. "Summary" would have been a much more appropriate word.

But, all this whining aside, I'm grateful that the book is back in print as a very handsome hardback volume.

If you ain't got it, get it!

It is heavy too. Nice binding. I look forward to delving into it soon. Well, out to snow blow the driveways and sidewalks after my coffee.

Is this the same volume that WTS Bookstore shows "sold out until February?" Or did you guys purchase from elsewhere?

Is this the same volume that WTS Bookstore shows "sold out until February?" Or did you guys purchase from elsewhere?
It is the same volume. The person I work with at WTS expects it to be a few months before they have a second printing. Their prices will most likely be significantly raised on the next run. We will be stocking it once they print more and probably at a lower price. That is if WTS follows their usual pattern of selling books cheap right out of the gate and then jacking up the prices.

what bookcloth is that? I've been working toward a similar effect that they have come up with both for the casebinding and the dj. This production looks quite nice.

The inside is just as nice, Chris. A pleasing-looking font and a very nice, organized layout. Too bad they used white, though, a color that shows dirt and dust too easily.

I do think it's weird, as I said, that the translator's name is missing from the title page but the indexer's name is there!

If you are going to make a mistake it will be on the title page, I always say! :) I always go with a natural rather than white text paper.
The inside is just as nice, Chris. A pleasing-looking font and a very nice, organized layout. Too bad they used white, though, a color that shows dirt and dust too easily.

I do think it's weird, as I said, that the translator's name is missing from the title page but the indexer's name is there!

I just saw your message. It seems to be off-white or eggshell linen cloth-over-board.
Do you have a contact at the publisher you know well enough to ask what the bookcloth make is? I find it appealing and if not that exact color, it might be something to look at if a standard stock item.

Do you have a contact at the publisher you know well enough to ask what the bookcloth make is? I find it appealing and if not that exact color, it might be something to look at if a standard stock item.
Yes. I will e-mail them and ask. It is a beautiful option. Many publishers are going this direction for premium releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back