Before Vos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
He is said by kline ot have pionered biblical theology outside of himslef(vos) who else before hand was a "biblical" theologian?

In that sense.

blade

Nathan:

I would be more likely to refer to Calvin than to Vos as a Biblical theologian. Calvin, it seems to me, was thinking in those modern categories. He was setting out Biblical theology in a systematic way. I just can't agree completely with some of the distinctions that some make of this, as if there is such a great divide between the two, Biblical Theology and Systematic Theology. It is more a criticism of modern methods than of the Reformed faith per se.

Just as an aside, Nathan, this reminded me of an interview I heard on the radio. The Blue Jays had a new pitcher that was quickly becoming popular. So the interviewer asked him if he could "tell a bit about the man behind the pitcher." To this the new pitcher simply replied, "You've got the wrong guy. The man behind the pitcher is the second baseman.":D

Originally posted by JohnV
Nathan:

I would be more likely to refer to Calvin than to Vos as a Biblical theologian. Calvin, it seems to me, was thinking in those modern categories.

Indeed! Even the hermeneutic employed in the Institutes seems very Redemptive-Historical!

It depends on the view point! There was once a rather chauvinistic English saying that went:

Is not God an Englishman? For England begot Wycliff, who begot Huss, who begot Luther, who begot the truth.

:lol:

John, great analogy!!

Originally posted by TimV
It depends on the view point! There was once a rather chauvinistic English saying that went:

Is not God an Englishman? For England begot Wycliff, who begot Huss, who begot Luther, who begot the truth.

:lol:

John, great analogy!!

:lol::lol:

Reminds me of Gilbert & Sullivan:

He is an Englishman!
For he himself has said it,
And it's greatly to his credit,
That he is an Englishman!
That he is an Englishman!

For he might have been a Roosian,
A French or Turk or Proosian,
Or perhaps Italian!
Or perhaps Italian!

But in spite of all temptations
To belong to other nations,
He remains an Englishman!
He remains an Englishman!

(H.M.S. Pinafore)

And, let us not forget that Vos himself repudiates the idea that Biblical theology and Systematic theology are in any way mutually exclusive, and insists that they are simply two different ways of presenting the same truth and complement each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back