Being Thankful For The Crumbs From His Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Presbyterian

Puritan Board Doctor
Posted on 06 February 2009

Greetings, dear readers!

This month, our dear brother and League fellow Stanley Decker gave a testimony during one of our meetings, in which he told of his recent visit to a nearby “hobo camp” to feed the homeless and perhaps share the Gospel. When he arrived there with a big steaming pot of homemade stew, the campers were very thankful for his generosity, and were quick to exclaim, “God bless you!” It seems evident from their strikingly spiritual response that even the most lost and downtrodden souls see the work of Christ in the kindness of strangers.

And so it was on this cold night that Stanley noticed a shy, nervous dog pacing back and forth in the distance as the stew was spooned out for these hungry folks. At times the skinny, black-coated mutt would start to slowly approach Stanley, but then would stop in fear, as if knowing that the food was not meant for him, and yet desiring it nonetheless.

Struck to his heart with pity, Stanley finished serving everyone and then filled one last bowl for the dog. After a few gentle words of invitation, Stanley was finally able to coax the canine to the bowl of stew he set on the ground. Within seconds, the dog had consumed the meal, licked his chops clean, and wagged his tail.

Stanley wasn’t sure if he had seen gratitude, reverence, or satisfaction in the poor dog’s eyes, or if it held any real intelligent expression at all. Yet Stanley suddenly found himself contemplating the story of the Canaanite woman in Matthew 15:22-28 and realized that what he had witnessed in that dog’s behavior was, simply put: HUMILITY.

This was exactly what Jesus was referring to when he likened the Canaanite woman to a dog begging for scraps from his master’s table. And just as the woman had humbled herself before Christ as evidence of her great faith, so, too, this hobo’s dog had displayed the same lowly disposition in the hope of receiving the smallest of morsels from Stanley.

Stanley shared this story with the League to testify to God’s providence in using this small event to bring the teaching of Matthew 15:22-28 to his mind. And we thank Stanley for telling it to us.

Oh, how we need to remember that the most vivid example of faith that was commended by Christ in the Scriptures was in the attitude of a humble dog waiting patiently for the least crumb of mercy to fall from the master’s table. Perhaps in this day and age of self-esteem and spiritual arrogance, such metaphors that describe us as “sinful worms” and “begging dogs” are abhorrent to our human sensibilities; and yet we must always let God’s word form a right understanding of our humble position before God.

As miserable sinners deserving God’s wrath we have no right to make demands on God’s provisions. Only by humbly acknowledging our wretched state and resting our faith solely upon the blood and righteousness of Christ can we truly comprehend God’s grace. And whether we receive a whole loaf of God’s mercy or just a crumb, it is more than we deserve and yet more than we could ever need, for in Christ we have been truly blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places (Eph. 1:3).

Let us never forget the amazing grace of God that not only supplies our every need, but takes lowly dogs such as us and inexplicably makes us co-heirs with Christ to one day share in His glory (Rom. 8:17).

And can it be that I should gain
an interest in the Savior’s blood!
Died he for me? who caused his pain!
For me? who him to death pursued?

Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Found HERE.

That reminds me of a sermon preached by Arden Hodgins, who used to be a member of our church and now is a pastor in La Mirada CA. He was preaching on this same text and commented on the Caananite woman's response:

"She basically was saying, I may be a dog, but I'm your dog, Master."

Even thinking about it brings a tear to my eye, dog that I am.

That reminds me of a sermon preached by Arden Hodgins, who used to be a member of our church and now is a pastor in La Mirada CA. He was preaching on this same text and commented on the Caananite woman's response:

"She basically was saying, I may be a dog, but I'm your dog, Master."

Even thinking about it brings a tear to my eye, dog that I am.

Amen!

:ditto:

Though many times the path I trod is hard and difficult, the Lord is sovereign; the fact that HE would consider me at all fills my heart to overflowing!:sing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back