Best books on Sanctification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

totorodaisuki

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking for the best books by Puritan authors dealing with sanctification. I have "The Mortification of Sin" by John Owen and really was blessed by it, but I'm wondering if there are more books I should be reading. Thanks!

You could definitely add Holiness by J. C. Ryle to your list. (although he isn't a puritan). You could read George Swinnock's the Christian Man's Calling. I'm reading it currently and it's a big blessing.

Here is a list of returns for "sancti" (used instead of sanctification in light of spelling discrepancies) from the Zotero Public Puritan Library. All titles link to the works in EEBO-TCP; where they can be read for free. If you find something you like, you can always choose the "full-text" option in EEBO-TCP, copy and paste the work into Word or Libre, save, upload into Calibre, and convert to Epub to be read on E-Reading devices, or your phone. Hope this may help broaden your search for Puritan works regarding this subject.

David Peterson's Possessed by God is a good Complement to the aforementioned books. It touches on definitive sanctification as a driving force for pursuing Godliness.

Last edited:
I third the Marshall suggestion. It is the theological integration of sanctification among the other saving benefits of Christ that Marshall brings out so very well. And then ties that theological integration into the practical outworking of that sanctification in point after point.

I third the Marshall suggestion. It is the theological integration of sanctification among the other saving benefits of Christ that Marshall brings out so very well. And then ties that theological integration into the practical outworking of that sanctification in point after point.
Looks like I need to buy this book

I had forgotten about Marshall's book 'The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification'. It certainly is the best Puritan book. The Beeke/Barret book also is excellent and covers more material. Read both together.

Thanks!

Another vote from me Sinclair Ferguson's Devoted to God, but if it has to be Puritan then Walter Marshall.

Our church book club is taking up The Godly Man's Picture in November, please let me know if you have any study notes or questions.
I read it as a devotional not so much as a study so I have nothing concrete besides my recommendation. But I am encouraged to hear that your congregation will be studying the book.

I don't know if it's the "best" book but one classic is The Bruised Reed.

Just ordered it!

You won't be disappointed. Granted it's sanctification through mortification and other beautiful puritan principles derived from Scripture :).
Zach, I know you have spoken about mental health in other posts. I will add the Bruised Reed is a great book to read for mental health as well as sanctification. Also it's sister book 'The Soul's conflict' which nicely compliments 'The Bruised Reed'.

The publisher I linked to above says of 'the Soul's Conflict' "In taking Sibbes slowly the reader will find some of the most sweetly written paragraphs in puritan literature and theological preaching. It is a treatise on Psalm 42:5 and 11, “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance…and my God.” Sibbes is an able master exegete who, many times, is thinking far faster than he is writing. His desire to see his thoughts explode upon the page occur frequently, but in a few spots, most angelically. This is not a work to read once. It is one to study, reread and then soak in."

I was first alerted to the spiritual benefits of reading Sibbes after I read a famous quote from Martyn Lloyd-Jones

You will find, I think, in general that the Puritans are almost invariably helpful . . . I shall never cease to be grateful to one of them called Richard Sibbes who was balm to my soul at a period in my life when I was overworked and badly overtired, and therefore subject in an unusual manner to the onslaughts of the devil. In that state and condition . . . what you need is some gentle, tender treatment for your soul. I found at that time that Richard Sibbes, who was known in London in the early seventeenth century as “the heavenly Doctor Sibbes”, was an unfailing remedy. His books The Bruised Reed and The Soul’s Conflict quietened, soothed, comforted, encouraged and healed me.

Emphasis added

Zach, I know you have spoken about mental health in other posts. I will add the Bruised Reed is a great book to read for mental health as well as sanctification. Also it's sister book 'The Soul's conflict' which nicely compliments 'The Bruised Reed'.

The publisher I linked to above says of 'the Soul's Conflict' "In taking Sibbes slowly the reader will find some of the most sweetly written paragraphs in puritan literature and theological preaching. It is a treatise on Psalm 42:5 and 11, “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance…and my God.” Sibbes is an able master exegete who, many times, is thinking far faster than he is writing. His desire to see his thoughts explode upon the page occur frequently, but in a few spots, most angelically. This is not a work to read once. It is one to study, reread and then soak in."

I was first alerted to the spiritual benefits of reading Sibbes after I read a famous quote from Martyn Lloyd-Jones

You will find, I think, in general that the Puritans are almost invariably helpful . . . I shall never cease to be grateful to one of them called Richard Sibbes who was balm to my soul at a period in my life when I was overworked and badly overtired, and therefore subject in an unusual manner to the onslaughts of the devil. In that state and condition . . . what you need is some gentle, tender treatment for your soul. I found at that time that Richard Sibbes, who was known in London in the early seventeenth century as “the heavenly Doctor Sibbes”, was an unfailing remedy. His books The Bruised Reed and The Soul’s Conflict quietened, soothed, comforted, encouraged and healed me.

Emphasis added
Wow, thanks brother. Yes, I do struggle with severe mental illness, as does my elder sister who I live with. I will pickup The Soul's Conflict! And I'll buy an additional copy of The Bruised Reed for my sister as a Christmas gift!

I read it as a devotional not so much as a study so I have nothing concrete besides my recommendation. But I am encouraged to hear that your congregation will be studying the book.
Not nearly the whole congregation, just as many members as I can ecnourage to be interested and committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back