Billy Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preach

Inactive User
Does anyone know what Billy Graham's position is regarding "inclusivism"? Inclusivism defined as a person does not need Jesus to be right with God and go to heaven (pagans, hindus, muslims, etc) still can go to heaven without Jesus.

I read from Dr. Robert Morey's website (Faith Defenders-click on his name- and an article entitled "I told you so" appears. In that article. Dr. Morey states the following:
1)That a video exists proving Billy Graham is an inclusivist
2) That John MacArthur has seen the tape
3) That the USA Today newspaper ran an article on May 16, 2005 entitled "The Gospel of Billy Graham: Inclusivism" wherein he denies the necessity of Christ for salvation.

I went to the USA Today website but cannot seem to navigate it to locate the article.

If someone could find that article and link us to it, that would be most appreciated. Before I comment publicly in any way I want to make sure that I have my ducks in a row.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
"In Christ",
Bobby
 
Dr. Schuller: "œWhat I hear you saying [is] that it´s possible for Jesus Christ to come into a human heart and soul and life, even if they´ve been born in darkness and have never had exposure to the Bible. Is that a correct interpretation of what you´re saying?"
Dr. Graham: "œYes, it is, because I believe that. I´ve met people in various parts of the world in tribal situations, that they have never seen a Bible or heard about a Bible, and never heard of Jesus, but they´ve believed in their hearts that there was a God, and they tried to live a life that was quite apart from the surrounding community in which they lived."
Dr. Schuller: "œThis is fantastic. I´m so thrilled to hear you say that. "˜There´s a wideness in God´s mercy.´"
Dr. Graham: "œThere is. There definitely is." (9)
(9) Taken from a transcript of an interview conducted by Dr. Robert Schuller with Billy Graham via satellite in June 1997.

Great article here that somebody linked to last week.
 
Originally posted by panicbird
Is there video (or even audio) of this exchange?

If memory serves, it was on CNN, but I don't know if video or audio are readily available.
 
From the article I don't know that Billy would go so far as to say that even Muslims and Hindu's can be saved without Jesus. I think he was talking about "unreaced people groups" that can be saved apart from Christ. Though this position is still very wrong, I don't know that it would be fair to label it inclusivism. Though his positions logical implications imply inclusivism.

If there were a more straight-forward question it would be easier to answer but the question is too broad to say that he certainly is an inclusivist.
 
I read this quote, and took the time to write to the Billy Graham people myself. They admitted that he did say these things, and then offered this explanation: At that time Dr. Graham was not well, and during the interview said some things that seemed to contradict what he has taught previously, that Christ is the only way to God.

Evidently he offered a disclaimer soon after that 1997interview, in which he stated that no one will be saved who does not come to God through Christ. And that while other religions may have similar ideals and philosophies, Christianity says that salvation is only possible through the person and work of Christ, and in no other way.

For what it's worth . . .
 
Originally posted by Don Kistler
I read this quote, and took the time to write to the Billy Graham people myself. They admitted that he did say these things, and then offered this explanation: At that time Dr. Graham was not well, and during the interview said some things that seemed to contradict what he has taught previously, that Christ is the only way to God.

Evidently he offered a disclaimer soon after that 1997interview, in which he stated that no one will be saved who does not come to God through Christ. And that while other religions may have similar ideals and philosophies, Christianity says that salvation is only possible through the person and work of Christ, and in no other way.

For what it's worth . . .

This is interesting. We ought to be charitable to others and give them the benefit of the doubt, if possible. However; I found this on John MacArthur's website:

Through the years we have all become influenced by Billy Graham. One way or another he has, for us, been the spokesman for evangelical Christianity. He has become the symbol of gospel preachers to the world and even to the church. He, more than anyone else, has influenced evangelicalism through his preaching, through his cooperative evangelism, through his influence on Wheaton College, Fuller Seminary, Christianity Today and many other agencies.

There is an article in a journal that comments and reviews his autobiography, Just As I Am. And I think it's worth giving you some insight into that because I think it points out the breadth of this problem. The editor of the journal says, "While Graham has become the very symbol of gentle, compassionate and loving evangelicalism, he has also become the symbol for evangelicalism that speaks cautiously, critically and non-theologically. He was never able to escape the fuzzy a-theological pragmatism of modern evangelicalism. It is Billy Graham more than any other figure in this century who helped to create by his overwhelming persona the present evangelical crisis which threatens to destroy the very institutions and causes in which Graham invested his life and energy for over 55 years," end quote.

That is a sad statement, but it is an appropriate one in view of the facts. A recent public interview with Billy Graham and Robert Schuller underscores this. Graham has uncritically praised Schuller's ministry, which is a ministry of what is called neo-orthodoxy combined with psychology, not a true historic Christianity. But in the discussion, and here it is verbatim, I'll just share some things that will open to you the understanding.

Dr. Schuller speaks, speaking to Billy Graham. "Tell me, what is the future of Christianity?"

Dr. Graham: "Well, Christianity and being a true believer, you know, I think there's the body of Christ which comes from all the Christian groups around the world, or outside the Christian groups. I think that everybody that loves Christ or knows Christ, whether they're conscious of it or not, they're members of the body of Christ. And I don't think that we're going to see a great sweeping revival that will turn the whole world to Christ at any time."

Now let me stop there. He said that non-Christian groups are members of the body of Christ, that people can love Christ and know Christ whether they're conscious of it or not and be members of the body of Christ. And therefore we're not going to see a sweeping revival that will turn the whole world to Christ at any time, ostensibly because it isn't necessary.

He goes on to say. "What God is doing today is calling people out of the world for His name. Whether they come from the Muslim world, or the Buddhist world, or the Christian world, or the non-believing world, they are members of the body of Christ because they've been called by God. They may not...he says...even know the name of Jesus, but they know in their hearts they need something that they don't have and they turn to the only light they have and I think they're saved and they're going to be with us in heaven."

Dr. Schuller: "What I hear you saying is that it's possible for Jesus Christ to come into a human heart and soul and life even if they've been born in darkness and have never had exposure to the Bible. Is that a correct interpretation of what you're saying?"

Dr. Graham: "Yes it is because I believe that. I've met people in various parts of the world in tribal situations that they have never seen a Bible or heard about a Bible, have never heard of Jesus but they've believed in their hearts that there is a God and they tried to live a life that was quite apart from the surrounding community in which they lived."

Dr. Schuller: "This is fantastic. I'm so thrilled to hear you say that. There's a wideness in God's mercy, Dr. Graham, there is...there definitely is."

In response to that interview, the editor of this journal wrote the Billy Graham Organization and received a reply that said, "Dr. Graham's views were the same as they have always been." Apparently his views have always been that Muslims are part of the body of Christ, Buddhists are part of the body of Christ, non-believers are part of the body of Christ, people who have never heard of a Bible are part of the body of Christ if they're trying to be better than the people around them. People who never heard of Jesus are part of the body of Christ.
 
I can't speak for what the folks at the BGEA told this person. I can only pass along what they said to me when I wrote to them. But I have to go with what Graham himself is quoted as saying. I know the author of that journal, and he was reputable then. Why he got that response, I can't say.
 
Originally posted by Don Kistler
I read this quote, and took the time to write to the Billy Graham people myself. They admitted that he did say these things, and then offered this explanation: At that time Dr. Graham was not well, and during the interview said some things that seemed to contradict what he has taught previously, that Christ is the only way to God.

Evidently he offered a disclaimer soon after that 1997interview, in which he stated that no one will be saved who does not come to God through Christ. And that while other religions may have similar ideals and philosophies, Christianity says that salvation is only possible through the person and work of Christ, and in no other way.

For what it's worth . . .

My pastor at the time wrote the BGEA in the late 1990's in response to the Schuller interview and I have the response in my possession (somewhere). Sounds like it was the same response Dr. Kistler received, they blamed it on his health, etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top