Board Member Ages

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote:153f1e0bb4][i:153f1e0bb4]Originally posted by KayJay[/i:153f1e0bb4]
24 for another 2 months...

though my mom says I fit in better w/people 60 and over :p [/quote:153f1e0bb4]

Strangely I associate better with people 20 years older than with those of my agr group. I asked my mother if she was sure I was only 45.

34. <sigh> Actually, it's not as bad as I had imagined. I haven't gone to pot yet. No grey hair, no wrinkles. I actually LIKE myself better now than I did 10 years ago.

:D Mary

ps. The Red Wings had better get cooking if we are going to bring home the cup this year!!!!!!!!

Pastorway wrote:
[quote:77a86db24f]
33 here....
[/quote:77a86db24f]

Pastorway,

Wow. I am shocked. You are a year younger than me, but soooooo much smarter! I just figured that you were older, since you are so knowledgeable!

Sheesh! I'd better get on the stick! These whippersnappers all know more than me!

Mary :wink:

Much to young to feel this old. If I had known I was going to live this long I would've taken better care of myself. (39)

[quote:658bdae888][i:658bdae888]Originally posted by Mary[/i:658bdae888]

ps. The Red Wings had better get cooking if we are going to bring home the cup this year!!!!!!!! [/quote:658bdae888]

Reply...

Mary, does Detroit still remember Gordie Howe?:thumbup:

[quote:f1ddf320f9]
Mary, does Detroit still remember Gordie Howe?
[/quote:f1ddf320f9]

Gregg,

OH YES! He was the Grand Marshall of last year's Thanksgiving Day Parade. He is still huge around here, as is Terrible Ted Lindsey. He is one of the major heroes of Detroit, and is very well-respected by the current Red Wings organization. Hockey is a very big deal around here...as you probably figured out!

My dad grew up watching those great teams of the 50s play in the old Olympia stadium. QUIZ: Do you remember what they used to call Lindsey and Howe?

I'm guessing if you're in CT, you're probably a Bruins fan. :rolleyes:

Oh well. You can't help it.

Mary :bs2:

Paul Manata,

Is that really a picture of you? Or is it a masquerade like all these Calvin wanna be's on the board??

Cuz if it is, all you need is a pair of sunglasses, and...presto! :cool:

Mary

[quote:09209177cb]
Interesting that the mean looks to be around 30ish. Would've thought some of you were significantly older. 33 for me.
[/quote:09209177cb]

Twogunfighter,

I thought the exact same thing! Most of these people sound way older. I guess I mean they seem "mature". Unlike me.

Mary :banana:

[quote:28f82072a5][i:28f82072a5]Originally posted by Mary[/i:28f82072a5]
[quote:28f82072a5]
Mary, does Detroit still remember Gordie Howe?
[/quote:28f82072a5]

Gregg,

OH YES! He was the Grand Marshall of last year's Thanksgiving Day Parade. He is still huge around here, as is Terrible Ted Lindsey. He is one of the major heroes of Detroit, and is very well-respected by the current Red Wings organization. Hockey is a very big deal around here...as you probably figured out!

My dad grew up watching those great teams of the 50s play in the old Olympia stadium. QUIZ: Do you remember what they used to call Lindsey and Howe?

I'm guessing if you're in CT, you're probably a Bruins fan. :rolleyes:

Oh well. You can't help it.

Mary :bs2: [/quote:28f82072a5]

Reply...

Mary, I used to watch Gordie Howe play in Hartford (with his 2 sons Mark and Marty) when he was with the Whalers back in the 70's. (Remember the Whalers)??

The Whalers left Hartford in the 1990's and relocated in Carolina and became the Hurricanes.

I used to play a lot of Hockey when I was a kid and followed it then, but not much anymore (due to other responsibilities).

God Bless,
Gregg

Gregg,

Mark Howe played for the Wings for awhile. Don't know where he ended up. Of course I remember the Whalers! I knew they had been sold, but I couldn't remember where. I do remember the Minnesota North Stars became the Dallas Stars, though. It is so odd, watching teams move to areas where they never even have snow, especially when they leave areas where there are huge hockey audiences. Hopefully, that will never happen in Detroit. Not just because hockey is so huge here, but because we're one of the Original Six. Of course, as long as Mike Illitch owns the Wings, we're safe. He's a great guy, and a big supporter of Detroit.

You've probably figured out that hockey is my favorite sport. I'd be a bigger football fan, but when your home team is the Lions, well... You used to play hockey? What position did you play? I don't know why, but I'm picturing you as a defenseman. Am I right?

Mary :D

[quote:1e0c883de2]
I do remember the Minnesota North Stars became the Dallas Stars, though. It is so odd, watching teams move to areas where they never even have snow, especially when they leave areas where there are huge hockey audiences
[/quote:1e0c883de2]

I remember when they had an exhibition game between the Kings and the Penguins in Dallas ( before the Stars came to town). You had Gretsky and Lemieu playing and they could only fill half of Reunion Arena!

Now hockey has taken off big time here in Texas. Not only do you have the Stars (games are always sold out) but you have minor league teams in almost every decsent sized city. Fort Worth has a team called the Brahma's. Now there are High School Hockey teams.

The only problem we have down here is pronouncing those French Canadian names :lol:

[quote:0bbeb62dd6][i:0bbeb62dd6]Originally posted by Mary[/i:0bbeb62dd6]
Gregg,

Mark Howe played for the Wings for awhile. Don't know where he ended up. Of course I remember the Whalers! I knew they had been sold, but I couldn't remember where. I do remember the Minnesota North Stars became the Dallas Stars, though. It is so odd, watching teams move to areas where they never even have snow, especially when they leave areas where there are huge hockey audiences. Hopefully, that will never happen in Detroit. Not just because hockey is so huge here, but because we're one of the Original Six. Of course, as long as Mike Illitch owns the Wings, we're safe. He's a great guy, and a big supporter of Detroit.

You've probably figured out that hockey is my favorite sport. I'd be a bigger football fan, but when your home team is the Lions, well... You used to play hockey? What position did you play? I don't know why, but I'm picturing you as a defenseman. Am I right?

Mary :D [/quote:0bbeb62dd6]

Reply...

Mary, I remember watching the Whalers while they were still in the WHA (remember that). and then when they joined the NHL. They played at the Hartford civic center. I was sad to see them leave, but I think it really came down to a money issue if I remember correctly. Hockey is my favorite sport also.

When we played hockey, I played mostly goalie.

I shoot left in hockey (even though I am a natural right hander).

Mentally -- 18
Physically -- 58
Spiritually -- 40

I have no problem growing old. My problem is with aging. I am still physically fit and can run the half mile faster than when I was in high school. I can run a mile, which is something I could not do in high school. I still burn the candle at both ends, eat saturated fats (I love mayonaise), don't get enough sleep, and have high energy. My cholesterol is low and my weight is under control (?). I am also grey-haired and balding. Other than that, I am fit as a fiddle.

WSW,

We have the same problem with the Quebecois names! (And now the Eastern Bloc names too.) I remember when Jacques Demers was the Wings coach - he used to come up with the funniest sentences! I can't come up with one now, but he would mix all the cliches up, you know. Like instead of "shutting the barn door after the horse got out" he'd say something like "shutting the barn door after the cat got on the roof" It was hilarious!!!

Gregg,

Goalie, huh? A very important position - gotta stay calm under fire! So you stopped watching hockey when the Whalers left? Or who do you watch now? Hopefully the Red Wings - I hear we are sort of like the Dallas Cowboys were a couple decades ago - fans all over the place. I think we got a lot of respect after that tragic car accident a couple of years ago - and the way the team responded. I am proud to say, however, that I was a Red Wings fan even when they were terrible - back when noone could pronounce "Yzerman." Just like I'm a Lions fan. Maybe they'll win a Super Bowl before I die. No, actually, I have it on good authority - THIS YEAR IS THE YEAR FOR THE LIONS!! WE'RE GOING ALL THE WAY!!

27.... now I'm in the dreaded 'late 20s'. 'Mid 20s' never sounded too bad....

[quote:e6b5c4f9b2][i:e6b5c4f9b2]Originally posted by Mary[/i:e6b5c4f9b2]

Gregg,

Goalie, huh? A very important position - gotta stay calm under fire! So you stopped watching hockey when the Whalers left? Or who do you watch now? Hopefully the Red Wings - I hear we are sort of like the Dallas Cowboys were a couple decades ago - fans all over the place. I think we got a lot of respect after that tragic car accident a couple of years ago - and the way the team responded. I am proud to say, however, that I was a Red Wings fan even when they were terrible - back when noone could pronounce "Yzerman." Just like I'm a Lions fan. Maybe they'll win a Super Bowl before I die. No, actually, I have it on good authority - THIS YEAR IS THE YEAR FOR THE LIONS!! WE'RE GOING ALL THE WAY!!

Mary :bs2: [/quote:e6b5c4f9b2]

Reply...

Mary,

I pretty much stopped following hockey after the Whalers left Conn.

I really don't watch too much of anything now. The responsibilities of a full time business and maintaing a house and shop pretty much take up most of my time. The closest I get to following the redwings is lacing up my steel toe workboots.

God Bless,
Gregg

Gregg and Mary:

Do you remember Dave Keon? He was my fabourite player. It was so sad when he left Toronto, as captain even, and joined the WHA. But the NHL had it coming to them. He was with the Whalers for a while.

And no matter how bad the Wings may have been, they did not go through times like the Ballard years in Toronto. That was an awful time. Of all the players they traded away, they'd have been much better off trading away the owner instead.

Toronto needs to win a cup to shrug off those years. The effects will linger until then.

And then there is the Barillco curse. Ever heard of it? Bill Barillco scored the overtime winner against the Wings (I think ) to win the cup. Then that summer he died in a plane crash. Toronto went without a cup win until the year that they finally found the wreckage, and confirmed his death.

[quote:e564b6518a][i:e564b6518a]Originally posted by JohnV[/i:e564b6518a]
Gregg and Mary:

Do you remember Dave Keon? He was my fabourite player. It was so sad when he left Toronto, as captain even, and joined the WHA. But the NHL had it coming to them. He was with the Whalers for a while.

And no matter how bad the Wings may have been, they did not go through times like the Ballard years in Toronto. That was an awful time. Of all the players they traded away, they'd have been much better off trading away the owner instead.

Toronto needs to win a cup to shrug off those years. The effects will linger until then.

And then there is the Barillco curse. Ever heard of it? Bill Barillco scored the overtime winner against the Wings (I think ) to win the cup. Then that summer he died in a plane crash. Toronto went without a cup win until the year that they finally found the wreckage, and confirmed his death. [/quote:e564b6518a]

Reply...

I remember watching Dave Keon with the Whalers in the 1970's. Excellent player.

1st post...........I'm at least half-way home....50 and counting, 51 in 6 weeks....my guess is over half-way home. :detective: :amen:

Am reading a fun book titled When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple. BUT.... I am not old <G>. I do notice that there are sure a lot of 'kids' <G> here.

~ Beth

34 years. Old. I'm almost 1/2 way to my three-score and ten. If I live them out, I hope the latter are more productive for the Kingdom than the former. (I'm feeling blue this morning.)

On the lighter side, It ought to be [i:1acb3b85ee][b:1acb3b85ee][u:1acb3b85ee]ILLEGAL[/u:1acb3b85ee][/b:1acb3b85ee][/i:1acb3b85ee] to play ice hockey south of the Mason-Dixon line!
Flyers will probably always be my team. They were my first "home" team, so they might as well be the last.

[quote:721e744b53][i:721e744b53]Originally posted by Contra_Mundum[/i:721e744b53]
34 years. Old. I'm almost 1/2 way to my three-score and ten. If I live them out, I hope the latter are more productive for the Kingdom than the former. (I'm feeling blue this morning.)

On the lighter side, It ought to be [i:721e744b53][b:721e744b53][u:721e744b53]ILLEGAL[/u:721e744b53][/b:721e744b53][/i:721e744b53] to play ice hockey south of the Mason-Dixon line!
Flyers will probably always be my team. They were my first "home" team, so they might as well be the last. [/quote:721e744b53]

34's a pretty good age...I definately prefer being older and (a little) wiser. It's pretty embarrassing to remember how shallow and silly I used to be. (Yes, I used to be worse!) Although I can't die at 70; I'm scheduled to work until I'm 71!

Funny! I think it's kind of cute that Southerners want to be like us...They probably think its OK to like hockey, since it's Canadian and not "yankee," however 4 of the 6 original teams were American. (They probably don't know that, though.)

The Flyers are OK but they are no Red Wings. Let's see...Detroit, Toronto, Chicago, Boston, Montreal, New York...They weren't one of the original 6 were they?

21 years here...:)

I too played hockey, for about 10 years straight. I just started playing again last week after a 2 year break, and I don't know if I've ever been so tired. :lol:

I'm a goalie as well...

In Him,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back