Book recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been going to a Presbyterian Church for the past few months, and have decided that I need to study out the baptism issue. Any recommendations for books presenting the arguments? I want books from both sides. Thanks :o
 
Here are a few recommendations from the covenantal paedobaptist side:

The Biblical Doctrine of Infant Baptism by Pierre Marcel (link)
Word, Water, and Spirit: A Reformed Perspective on Baptism by J.V. Fesko (link)
Family Religion: Principles of Raising a Godly Family by Matthew Henry (link; see his "Treatise on Baptism" inside)
Jesus Loves the Little Children: Why We Baptize Children by Daniel Hyde (link)
Chapters 14-16 of Book 4 of Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion (link; online version)
 
I've been going to a Presbyterian Church for the past few months, and have decided that I need to study out the baptism issue. Any recommendations for books presenting the arguments? I want books from both sides. Thanks :o

The Baptism of Disciples Alone, A Covenantal Argument for Credobaptism Versus Paedobaptism, by Fred Malone

From Paedobaptism to Credobaptism, by W. Gary Crampton
 
Bob,

I've actually found that Malone uses a lot of logical fallacies (when he critiques the paedo-position). So I don't see it as a fair critique. :) Of course I am probably bias.

I found on the mode of baptism: 'William the Baptist' is an interesting book though the last chapter on infant baptism would be a waste, everything else is pretty good. Basically he goes over many of the passages in Scripture that talk about 'baptism' 'washing', 'regeneration', etc.

General book on baptism: John Murray's 'Christian Baptism'

However, if you really desire to understand the reformed view of baptism, one has to understand Covenant Theology. So you may want to study that as well.
 
I've been going to a Presbyterian Church for the past few months, and have decided that I need to study out the baptism issue.

Then read,The Fatal Flaw of the Theology Behind Infant Baptism by Jeffrey D. Johnson.

On the back cover Thomas J. Gentry Pastor of Covenant Presbyterian Church writes; if I were a baptist, this argument would be the one I would want to share with my Presbyterian breathren or anyone considering leaving the Baptist camp to become one. It truly is a must read and should be in the library of every serious student of covenant theology.

I have not read it yet but Covenant Theology A Reformed and Baptistic Prespective on God's Covenants by Greg Nichols might be helpful.
 
Moderation

I don't think this thread needs to have a discussion on the merits of the books proposed.
Or an argument on baptism, Covenant Theology, etc. etc.
Give your suggestions. Move on, Start another thread.

/Moderation
 
Moderation

I don't think this thread needs to have a discussion on the merits of the books proposed.
Or an argument on baptism, Covenant Theology, etc. etc.
Give your suggestions. Move on, Start another thread.

/Moderation

Excellent reminder Bruce, Thanks!
 
Covenant Theology A Reformed and Baptistic Prespective on God's Covenants by Greg Nichols is a must read from the Reformed Baptist side
 
Danny,

I don't know how familiar you are with theology. I assume you're familiar with Systematic Theology. If you aren't already, I would greatly encourage you to become familiar with Biblical Theology. I became a Reformed Baptist (1689) not because I studied the baptism issue, but because I read books about the History of Redemption and Typology.

As a 1689'r, I would not recommend any NCT books/authors such as Schreiner/Wright "Believer's Baptism".

AFTER you have read and understand Biblical Theology I would encourage you to read:

James Alexander Haldane - Reasons of a Change of Sentiment and Practice on the Subject of Baptism
John Norcott - Baptism Discovered Plainly & Faithfully According to the Word of God
Alexander Carson - Baptism in its Mode and Subjects Considered
W. T. Brantly - The Covenant of Circumcision: No Just Plea for Infant Baptism
Unknown Author - A Catechism on the Doctrine and Practice of Christian Baptism
Greg Welty - From Circumcision to Baptism

You may notice the works I recommend are older. That is because most modern treatments do not challenge the validity of appealing to the Abrahamic Covenant the way the older writers did. Most modern treatments deal with the results of having appealed to the Abrahamic Covenant but not the validity of doing so. This will become clear after you have understood the relationship of Eschatology to Protology, types and anti-types, etc.

Thank you for the opportunity to share,
May your conscious be right before God.
 
Thank you for all the recommendations! I definitely have a lot to go off of now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top