Books on Church History/Historical theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformandaJovian

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey guys, just wondering do you guys have any theological books about church history, historical theology, to recommend?

I've only used it a bit at the moment, so others may come in with better suggestions, but I have found Gregg R. Allison's Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine to be quite good. It was written to be a companion book to go along with Wayne Grudem's systematic theology, which you may find to be a plus or negative depending on how you feel about his work.

Allison probably edges out the rest. I cut my teeth on Pelikan. Pelikan is good, great even, but he isn't as good as EO converts make him out to be.

Justo Gonzalez's three volume work is decent, even if it is skimpy in places.

Alister McGrath has something like a reader on historical theology that is worth considering.

There are plenty.
How in-depth?
Alister McGrath's works. Though his Iustia Dei is iffy from what I hear. A short work on Justification would be Michael Horton's Volume 1 on Justification.
Louis Berkhof
William Cunningham (an older but good one).
Philip Schaff's works. They are dated but comprehensive.
Nick Needham's current 4 volume 2000 years of Christ's Power is comprehensive and down to earth.

2000 years of Christ's Power by Nick Needham

Christian History An Introduction Alistair McGrath

For the period 1789-1914 I've enjoyed Churches, Revolutions and Empires 1789-1914 by Ian J. Shaw

I can also attest to Needham. Also, if you can catch him speaking, that is also worth checking out if only to hear that way he pronounces things.

Example:

Berkhof's History of Christian Doctrines is very helpful historically and doctrinally. You can read a sample here
As mentioned above Dr Needham's 2000 Years of Christ's Power (4 volumes to date) is excellent. It aims to be easy to read with a fairly thorough coverage of Church History. I think it does this well. You can read a sample here

You can also listen to multiple lectures on church history by Dr Needham at their church website (Reformed Baptist Church of Inverness, Scotland).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back