Books on Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathetes

Puritan Board Freshman
I'd like to look more into Islam, should I need to defend the faith and dialog with Muslims. So I'm looking to see if anyone has any book recommendations in this regard. Anything is appreciated, from the beginner to the scholarly. Thanks in advance.

Breaking the Islam Code :JD Grear
(Great book for an introduction and heart felt)
Answering Islam Normal :Giesler
(Apologetic with great knowledge)

Muslims Christians and Jesus: Meder

(Heart felt)

Thanks for the suggestions! I also see quite a few books by Ibn Warraq...I think he's not a Christian, but his books still look like they could be useful. Thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestions! I also see quite a few books by Ibn Warraq...I think he's not a Christian, but his books still look like they could be useful. Thoughts?

Wikipedia say's Ibn Warraq is an agnostic. If I were you I'd also look into some books that give a balanced view of Islam and Islamic culture, or books that don't criticize Islam using al-Qaeda and the Taliban as a prime example, because most Muslims, while not particularly liking the West, do not support al-Qaeda either.

The Great Arab Conquest by Hugh Kennedy is a history of the rise of Islam.

Some books by Phil Parshall:
Lifting the Veil: The World of Muslim Women
Muslim Evangelism
Understanding Muslim Traditions and Teachings (focus's on the Hadith)
The Cross and the Crescent

If you want to read some novels that help (to some degree) understand Islam and Muslim culture: I'd recommend The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield, and The Swallows of Kabul (I forget the author).

Some interesting biographies that give some insight are; I Shall Not Hate, Son of Hammas (son of one of the leaders converts to Christianity), Prisoner of Tehran, or Jumping through Fires.

The Great Arab Conquest by Hugh Kennedy is a history of the rise of Islam.

Some books by Phil Parshall:
Lifting the Veil: The World of Muslim Women
Muslim Evangelism
Understanding Muslim Traditions and Teachings (focus's on the Hadith)
The Cross and the Crescent

If you want to read some novels that help (to some degree) understand Islam and Muslim culture: I'd recommend The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield, and The Swallows of Kabul (I forget the author).

Some interesting biographies that give some insight are; I Shall Not Hate, Son of Hammas (son of one of the leaders converts to Christianity), Prisoner of Tehran, or Jumping through Fires.

Yes, thanks for this. I actually picked up "Muslim Evangelism" at my Church bookstore on Sunday but since I had never heard of the author before, I wondered if it would be worth it to follow up with his other books.

Fresh Vision for the Muslim World is helpful, though you may find things you disagree with. Similarly, a deeper one is The Prophet and the Messiah by Moucarry.

Dig up a few books on Islamic history as well. Most Muslims know their religious history better than most Americans know their family trees, and is a significant component in the early days of Islam.

NOTE:

If you read the Qur'an, read it chronologically (you can google this to get lists). And, I would suggest reading it only after (or at the same time) as reading Ali Dashti's very excellent book, 23 Years: The life of the prophet, which can be found on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Twenty Three Years: A Study of the Prophetic Career of Mohammad (9781568590295): Ali Dashti, F. R. C. Bagley, F.R.C. Bagley: Books

Geisler's Answering Islam is also an excellent first book.

Also, realize that most islam, like most Christianity, is nominal and so a good book on "Folk Islam" is needed, such as: Muslims, Magic and the Kingdom of God, by Rick Love:

Amazon.com: Muslims, Magic and the Kingdom of God: Church Planting Among Folk Muslims (9780878084432): Rick Love: Books

A preview of this book can be found on googlebooks.

Although its not out yet, James White is writing a book due out this year. His debates with muslims may be of some benefit, as well. See aomin.org.

White has become quite a scholar of Islam over the last few years; I'm excited for his new book. For his apologetics class, he required Understanding the Koran by Mateen Elass.

Dig up a few books on Islamic history as well. Most Muslims know their religious history better than most Americans know their family trees, and is a significant component in the early days of Islam.

Most Muslims know more, despite being misguided in many aspects, about Christianity than most confessing "Christians".

Fresh Vision for the Muslim World is helpful, though you may find things you disagree with.

Like what?

It's been a little while since I read it, but he takes a fairly transformationalist view of the Christ and culture question, and he applies that to work with Muslims. You may completely agree with that, or you may disagree. But the work is definitely worth reading closely, as it will give a lot of helpful background info as well as challenge you to think about how to work with Muslims.

Review here: http://joelws.com/2010/12/fresh-vision-for-the-muslim-world-by-mike-kuhn/
Review of the Moucarry book here: http://joelws.com/2010/06/the-prophet-and-the-messiah-by-chawkat-moucarry/

You could also download the debate Dr. Greg Bahnsen had with a muslim from cmfnow.com. I would also download his Practical Apologetics series. It provides quite a bit of information for the apologetic encounter.

Caner, Emir Fethi, and Ergun Mehmet Caner. Unveiling Islam. Grand Rapids, Mich: Kregel Publications, 2002.
and
McDowell, Bruce A., and Anees Zaka. Muslims and Christians at the Table. Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R Publishers, 1999.

The first is particularly interesting because the authors converted from Islam to Christianity. It should not be confused with similarly entitled works on Muslim women.

Caner, Emir Fethi, and Ergun Mehmet Caner. Unveiling Islam. Grand Rapids, Mich: Kregel Publications, 2002.http://www.puritanboard.com/f34/books-islam-72247/
and
McDowell, Bruce A., and Anees Zaka. Muslims and Christians at the Table. Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R Publishers, 1999.

The first is particularly interesting because the authors converted from Islam to Christianity. It should not be confused with similarly entitled works on Muslim women.

The first book, by the Caners, makes fundamental mistakes in reference to Islam. And further, I would never,
EVER want to mention to a Muslim that I read a book from the Caners regarding Islam. They are a stench in the nostrils of Muslims today because of their lies about their personal histories in Islam and their falsified credentials to debate Muslims.

Here's a link to Ergun Caner's timeline, revealing the nature of his lies over the years and why many Muslims mock Christianity because of him. http://babyloniansquirrel.blogspot.com/2010/05/caner-file.html

Yeah, I knew from the get-go that I wanted nothing to do with Caner's books. I may not know Islam, but I know dishonesty when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back