Books on Worship for 2007-2008, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
As those of you who've seen The Confessional Presbyterian journal or have heard about it, know, the last two years Dr. Frank J. Smith has been reviewing books and material on the regulative principle in "The Regulative Principle of Worship: Sixty Years in Reformed Literature." I'm happy to say that Dr. Smith will be continuing to review books on worship in the Review section of the journal each year. So I'm asking PB folks for any titles folks have seen or know about that have appeared in 2007 or will be forthcoming the first half of 2008. Any suggestions or leads are most welcome.

I know of RC Sproul's work on the Westminster Confession, and we did manage to pick up a few 2007 titles at the end of the second part of the survey in CPJ 3, namely,
Douglas Comin’s Worship: From Genesis to Revelation,
Danny Hyde's, What to Expect in Reformed Worship: A Visitor’s Guide,
and Daniel Ritchie's, The Regulative Principle of Worship: Explained and Applied
(mmh, all PB members :think:).
So, anything worthy of notice from 2007 that we missed? Or any forthcoming that folks know about from now through summer 2008?

The best place to go for new titles is Dove books. There are several titles there that are coming out on worship. Just type worship into the title search bar.

While we don't want to get too far afield from Reformed works; we have looked at some evangelical titles in the survey, so this looks site looks useful. Thanks Lane.

Those may be worth mentioning (and I'll make a note of it; thanks), but the idea of the Survey originally was not to focus on reprints and older works so much as new material. I suspect Frank will simply continue the same format.

Those may be worth mentioning (and I'll make a note of it; thanks), but the idea of the Survey originally was not to focus on reprints and older works so much as new material. I suspect Frank will simply continue the same format.

It would be good to mention the reprints though, especially for those not aware of them. :sing:

I have a ten-part series of articles on worship in Clarion beginning with Volume 56, Number 23. My plumb line is the regulative principle.

Wes,
Would it be possible for you to forward this series to me in the published form?

Sure. The first installment is due out this week and since it's ten parts spread over a biweekly publication, it will be about 20 weeks before the whole thing is done. So, you may have to give me a reminder in about 4 months.

Wes,
Would it be possible for you to forward this series to me in the published form?

Sure. The first installment is due out this week and since it's ten parts spread over a biweekly publication, it will be about 20 weeks before the whole thing is done. So, you may have to give me a reminder in about 4 months.
Thanks Wes. Is it an ejournal or paper? Is it already done or will you be working on it as you go?

Thanks Wes. Is it an ejournal or paper? Is it already done or will you be working on it as you go?

Clarion is the unofficial magazine of the Canadian Reformed Churches. It's only available in hard copy.

The series is complete, although installments 8-10 are only in a rough draft.

[...] Any suggestions or leads are most welcome.

Dear Chris, yes, there is the new book Scripture and Worship written by Richard Muller and Rowland Ward. Ward has two chapters in this on worship and the regulative principle. He has an interesting thesis presented in it, and it's well worth a review.

God bless brother.

Thanks Marty. That is on my list. I had used Rowland's unpublished lecture on the DfPW as a source in the 2005 and 2006 and 2007 CPJs, but the finally and full published work should be covered by a review for sure.:)

Dear Chris, yes, there is the new book Scripture and Worship written by Richard Muller and Rowland Ward. Ward has two chapters in this on worship and the regulative principle. He has an interesting thesis presented in it, and it's well worth a review.

God bless brother.

Thanks Marty. That is on my list. I had used Rowland's unpublished lecture on the DfPW as a source in the 2005 and 2006 and 2007 CPJs, but the finally and full published work should be covered by a review for sure.:)

God bless brother.

What is Rowland Ward's position on the RPW these days? He belongs to the Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia, which is (I think) exclusive psalmody.

God bless brother.

What is Rowland Ward's position on the RPW these days? He belongs to the Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia, which is (I think) exclusive psalmody.

Here are a couple of articles from his website:

Should the Psalter Be the Only Hymnal of the Church?
The Psalter In Worship: The Covenant Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back