Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Puritan Board Senior
:book2: I am looking for good books on worship covering theses issues:

Regulative Principle of Worship
Musical Instruments (pro-acapella)
Psalmody (pro-EP)
Christmas (anti) - I am aware of Brian Schwertley's book on this but can't find it in hard copy.

Suggestions welcome! :handshake:

If you pick up the 2006 and subscribe to the 2007 issue of The Confessional Presbyterian journal, there is a 60 year survey of regulative principle literature that is a huge resource for locating titles common and less so on both the RPW and many of the side issues related. The material spread across the two issues makes a good size book. There are now quite a number of works on the topic generally. Right now I would commend two by PB members, Douglas Comin's From Genesis to Revelation: A Vindication of the Regulative Principle as the Unifying Standard of Corporate Worship in both the Old and New Testaments, Proved by a Survey of the Canonical Scriptures and Daniel Ritchie's The Regulative Principle of Worship: Explained and Applied.

Psalmody (pro-EP)
Christmas (anti) - I am aware of Brian Schwertley's book on this but can't find it in hard copy.

These lists are not comprehensive, but they may be helpful.

On the RPW and psalmody, I would recommend reading this thread and this.

Biblical Worship
William Ames, A Fresh Suit Against Human Ceremonies in God’s Worship
Daniel Ritchie, The Regulative Principle of Worship
Archibald Hall, Gospel Worship
Jeremiah Burroughs, Gospel Worship
Frank Smith and David Lachman, Worship in the Presence of God
Alexander Blaikie, Catechism on Praise
William Young, The Puritan Regulative Principle of Worship
G.I. Williamson, The Regulative Principle of Worship
Brian Schwertley, Are Liturgies Authorized by Scripture?
Malcolm Watts and David Silversides, The Worship of God
Douglas Comin, Worship: From Genesis to Revelation
Carl Bogue, The Scriptural Law of Worship

Psalmody
Michael Bushell, The Songs of Zion
John McNaugher, The Psalms in Worship
The True Psalmody
Thomas Ford, Singing of Psalms: The Duty of Christians Under the New Testament
John Keddie, Sing the Lord’s Songs: Biblical Psalms in Worship
Ted Postma, Psalmody Through the Ages
Frederick Leahy, Psalms, Hymns, and Spritual Songs
Brian Schwertley, A Brief Examination of Exclusive Psalmody
James Dick, Hymns and Hymnbooks
G.I. Williamson, The Singing of Psalms in the Worship of God
Malcolm Watts and David Silversides, The Worship of God

Regarding musical instruments, I would recommend:

John Price, Old Light on New Worship
John L. Girardeau, Instrumental Music in the Public Worship of the Church
Robert Nevin, Instrumental Music in the Christian Worship
James Begg, Anarchy in Worship
Brian Schwertley, Musical Instruments in the Public Worship of God

Regarding Christmas and other holy days which the Lord has not commanded us to observe, I would recommend reading this:

Brian Schwertley, The Regulative Principle and Christmas
Andrew Webb, Why do Presbyterians Observe Holy Days?
Samuel Miller, Presbyterians Do Not Observe Holy-Days
Kevin Reed, Christmas: An Historical Survey

It's more popularly written, but I'd recommend: With Reverence and Awe, by D. G. Hart & John R. Muether

I like this book; it's an easy read and a good resource for the Church today. My only complaint about Hart's view of worship is that he seems to merge the elements of prayer and song together. I think he believes that just as we can pray uninspired prayers we can sing uninspired song. At least that's what I remember him saying at the Westminster conference a couple years back when he was asked how it was he could have such a strong position on the RPW, but not hold to EP...

I don't recall them in any way "merging" the elements of song and prayer. Do you have a reference? Of course song and prayer are similar, but admitting that doesn't mean one has "merged" them. This would seem to be the complaint of anyone holding to EP when reading a book on Reformed worship that doesn't advocate EP, no?

A number of gems have been mentioned already. What I recommend above all others is the volume Give Praise to God which was written in honor of Boice. it is magnificent!

Westminster Bookstore - Reformed Books - Low Prices - $5 Shipping - Give Praise to God: A Vision for Reforming Worship

0875525539m.jpg

I don't recall them in any way "merging" the elements of song and prayer. Do you have a reference? Of course song and prayer are similar, but admitting that doesn't mean one has "merged" them. This would seem to be the complaint of anyone holding to EP when reading a book on Reformed worship that doesn't advocate EP, no?

My reference is the Westminster Conference I mentioned. I didn't say the book advocated this position, I simply said that I think Hart does. It was the way he answered a question about EP during Q&A time that I attended. I didn't record it, so I can't provide you with a hard and fast source. For that reason, I probably shouldn't have even made the comment. Perhaps somebody who knows more about Hart can provide further information. By the way, I wouldn't have made the comment at all if I thought Hart simply views the two elements as similar. The reason I mentioned the comment at all had to do with the original question. AV1611 was asking for resources that dealt with the following:

Psalmody (pro-EP)

So, I thought I would mention what I did so that he would know Hart does not hold to EP acapella....

As for your question, I wouldn't say it's the complaint of anyone holding to EP when reading a book on Reformed worship. I find that most of the debate centers around defining the RPW and applying it to each of the elements of worship. So, I can read a book like "Reverence and Awe" and agree with it in large part because I will likely only disagree on the application of the RPW to song in worship...

All that said, I still recommend Hart's book. I would also recommend Horton's "A Better Way" with the same qualification noted above. I even appreciated quite a bit of what Hart wrote in "Recovering Mother Kirk."

It's more popularly written, but I'd recommend: With Reverence and Awe, by D. G. Hart & John R. Muether

I like this book; it's an easy read and a good resource for the Church today. My only complaint about Hart's view of worship is that he seems to merge the elements of prayer and song together. I think he believes that just as we can pray uninspired prayers we can sing uninspired song. At least that's what I remember him saying at the Westminster conference a couple years back when he was asked how it was he could have such a strong position on the RPW, but not hold to EP...

Pastor Bradley

I know little about Presbyterianism but here are some quotes from “Leading in Prayer,
A Workbook for Worship” by Hughes Oliphant Old perhaps this is what was meant by prayer and song merge in worship.

The first consideration in the choice of a psalm is how fitting the psalm is for the prayer of the congregation.

A second way of working metrical psalmody into the service is to use it in that part of the service that directs our attention to prayers of supplication

Crying has its rhythms and tempos every bit as much as rejoicing, and there are times when it is important to cry together – and to cry together before God. Before going to prayer the congregation might well sing that classic of the Scottish Psalter,

Lord, from the depths to thee I cried:
My voice, Lord do thou hear:
Unto my supplication’s voice
Give an attentive ear.

When it is sung slowly and in a meditative vein, this becomes a very moving lamentation.

Respectfully, William

Psalmody (pro-EP)

Dear AV, don't you want to read any from another perspective, at least so you're aware of other perspectives?

Psalmody (pro-EP)

Dear AV, don't you want to read any from another perspective, at least so you're aware of other perspectives?

As an Anglican, I suspect he has done that. :violin:;)

Richard,

I have several books available on worship at Puritan Reprints. James Begg, Girardeau, John Cotton, John Gill, and David Calderwood.

Thanks all!

Peter Masters

I have this already. He makes some good points but still a little weak in my opinion.

Worship of God by Cliff et al

I have this already. Very good!!

John McNaugher's Psalms in Worship

I already have this and it is fantastic!

I will have a gander for it thanks.

A number of gems have been mentioned already. What I recommend above all others is the volume Give Praise to God which was written in honor of Boice. it is magnificent!

I will have a gander.

Richard,

I have several books available on worship at Puritan Reprints. James Begg, Girardeau, John Cotton, John Gill, and David Calderwood.

Thanks mate will take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back