Bow Flex Dumbbells and Xanga

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Have any of you seen these dumbbells made by Bow-Flex? They have a dial on them that allows you to dial the wieght you want. They go from 2lbs up to 52.5lbs. So one set of dumbbells covers all that weight.

Not to sound like He-man, but I will need 60-70-and 80lb sets eventually (3-4 months or so) but for now this is a very nice invention!

I've decided to hit the weights again. I used to lift all the time when I was younger and I figure it's time to get back into it. I watch the UFC and many of those fighters are my age! If they can be in that kind of shape, so can I. Keep me in your prayers.

Also, my Xanga site is back as I can finally update it. Even though I have stupid dial up (long story).

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=adamleavelle

Any wieghtlifters here should really check out the Bowflex dumbbells. I have a Bow-Flex as well and with both excercise peices I should be able to get a good workout!:banana:

Here are the dumbbells




selecttech_dumbbells.jpg
 
I've seen the dumbells advertised. They looked cool. I like free weights much better than machines for most exercises.

I think Randy Couture is the oldest ultimate fighter. He's awesome. He puts most of the younger guys to shame. Here's what he does as far as diet:

Notes from "œThe Natural"
by Randy Couture, 11-29-04

Over the past two years there has been a lot of interest in the nutritional program I used to come down from the Heavyweight division and compete in the light heavyweight division. A special thanks to Joe Rogan for bringing up the greens in the UFC 44 vs. Tito Ortiz broadcast.

Although most folks never have to fight in a cage for 25 minutes. The can use these same principles to enhance the quality of their lives by improving endurance, performance and health. It is well known that certain foods have either an acid or alkaline effect on the body. Animal products, sugar, dairy and processed grains are all acid forming foods, while vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables are alkaline. Since the stress of training is also acid forming, my primary goal is to reduce the amount of acid build up in my body.

Our bodies regulate the pH of our blood and tissues closer than it regulates body temperature. We must maintain a slightly alkaline pH to survive. Hard training, stress, high protein or high sugar diets can cause build up o acid. While there are mechanisms in place to deal with this acid (it´s a natural by product). When there is an overload, peak performance and health will often suffer.

Three main areas I focus on in preparation for my fights.
1. First is to increase the amount of energy rich live foods, in Vegas there is usually a trip to Whole foods to make sure I could continue right up to fight night. After making weight, I had a large green drink and lots of raw spinach and other greens.
2. Second is to decrease the amount of acid forming foods while making sure I am still getting all the nutrients I need. This includes reducing red meat and chicken and eating more fish, almonds and some beans. All dairy is eliminated as well.
3. The final component is to provide proper nutritional supplementation. I eliminated one of my carbohydrate replacement drinks and a few energy bars due to their high sugar content. Light Force greens are used daily along with some Flaxseed oil.

By including more alkaline foods into my diet and reducing acid forming foods, I felt better and experienced more energy. Believe it or not, I did not get tired at all in my five round fight with Tito. This is a testament not only to proper nutrition but also to understanding and applying the correct training principles so I was able to peak at the right time.

My diet includes green vegetables with each meal. Almost every morning begins with fresh vegetables and an alkalizing Light Force green drink. Grilled fish, soba noodles, high energy pancakes, wheat grass shots, and fresh vegetables and Avocados on yeast free toast are also on the menu.

Here are a few things to try:
1. Start your day several times a week with fresh or lightly steamed veggies. Cucumber, broccoli, green peppers, spinach, kale"¦ Eat again when you get hungry or at least include the greens with whatever you´re going to eat for breakkfast. I prefer to spread hummus on my veggies to help them go down better.
2. Reduce the amount of red meat and poultry. If you do want to eat them, get them from an organic source. There are some great books written on how unhealthy the meat is in the country. Don´t sweat the protein issue, you need less than you may think. Eat almonds (which are very alkaline) and other nuts, seeds, and fish.
3. Drink lots of water. You may need to drink around a gallon a day. Everyone is different and it depends on a number of factors from training to temperature.
4. Include water rich foods with each meal. Back to the live foods again.
5. Eliminate as much sugar from your diet as possible. Read labels, you´d be surprised where you´d find it. Soda is a major source and my hurt your conditioning.
6. Add an alkalizing greens supplement to your water a few times a day. I use Light Force which is for sale at randycouture.tv or tqfc.com.

This is my nutritional program in a nutshell (no pun intended)! I try to maintain this better than 80% of the time, and it gets especially strict in the peaking phase 10 weeks before I fight. A special thanks goes out to Dr. Ryan Parsons, who not only developed the Light Force supplement, but has generously provided me with support in the way of nutritional advice, chiropractic care, and sports massage as well as friendship. I sincerely hope that you gain as much as I have from this knowledge. Best of luck!


http://www.randycouture.tv/
 
I've been eyeballing' those for a while... but they're like $300-400 right? It used to be I could save that up at the drop of a hat... but I'm a broke college graduate with no money. Maybe, soon!

I really want to push hard and get a gym membership again and do workout at home-- I was working hard last time I was at a Gold's Gym-- but there are other local ones. I'll get fatter if I do not keep working out... I don't have money for treadmills, or a boxflex now, but a friend of mine has a bowflex-- it seems superb... I gotta fix the other weight bench in the house because the pulleys are messed up. My brother is the mechanical one and won't fix it.

UFC is awesome!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top