Business Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
I am starting a window and pressure cleaning business. What sounds better?

Pilgrim Window and pressure cleaning

Or

Ryan's window and pressure cleaning

If I use Pilgrim, the logo will be a silhouette of a Pilgrim with a blue background. If I use my name I will have an inviting picture of my family on marketing materials. Do you have any wisdom or advice? Thanks!

I'd prefer Pilgrim over Ryan, although I'm not big on either one. I've always felt like using a first name makes it sound like some teenage kid looking to make a little cash over summer vacation.

I also wouldn't be open to utilizing a picture of my family on any marketing material, unless maybe it's something like a "thank you for doing business with me" card you send out after the first time someone does business with you or a Christmas card you send out to good customers.

Call it:

Reasonable Window and Pressure Cleaning

Customers will think it connotes value and fairness. In your mind, you can remember Paul's words in Romans 12:1 and take joy in your service to God being comprehensive of your life, including your business. If anyone asks you the meaning, you can easily witness to them about your faith.

Parakaleo's answer is good, I like how you'd be able to witness with that name.

How do you plan on advertising?

Call it:

Reasonable Window and Pressure Cleaning

Customers will think it connotes value and fairness. In your mind, you can remember Paul's words in Romans 12:1 and take joy in your service to God being comprehensive of your life, including your business. If anyone asks you the meaning, you can easily witness to them about your faith.

10/10!!!

Parakaleo's answer is good, I like how you'd be able to witness with that name.

How do you plan on advertising?

I plan on building a simple website, creating postcard sized handouts, and mainly going through neighborhoods trying to get to know people while leaving my information at their door.

I like Pilgrim because they remind me of a strong work ethic, honest people, and a simple way of life. Are you guys not on board with this?

Lol, those poor puritans. I at least thought they would be respected on the Puritan board... Haha

Last edited:
A good rule when picking a brand name is to figure that using a name with an established image (like "Pilgrim") has clear benefits but also comes with increased risk. "Pilgrim" currently has generally positive connotations in America, I think, and would be much more memorable than "Ryan" especially when paired with the logo. But anytime you use a word like that, those positive connotations can change over time or can be negative for some customers. I'm reminded of a fellow who owned "Towers of Baghdad Mini-Golf" in North Carolina in the early 90's. It was a fun, exotic-sounding name. Then came the Gulf War.

I probably still like "Pilgrim" better then "Ryan" because using just your first name sounds too much like a fly-by-night, possibly shoddy operation. "Pilgrim" sounds more like an established business. But if you go that route, realize that a name like that carries a bit of risk and that not all customers will share the positive connotations you feel.

By the way... a name that somehow denotes the community where you hope to do business tends to be one of the safest and most established-sounding ways to go.

If I use Pilgrim, the logo will be a silhouette of a Pilgrim with a blue background.

Pilgrim's Pride used the silhouette of the bust of a pilgrim on a blue background. (They've recently adopted a new, uglier design). You need to find out if they've abandoned the old trademark, and if not, the design better not be anything like that, and you probably need to think about a different color combination. Or have a healthy litigation budget when Bo Pilgrim sends his lawyers after you. It would be a setback if you had to shred all of your printed material and start over with a new design.

If you want to go down that road, your first stop should be a local trademark lawyer to advise you on your design choices.

If you haven't done so, you probably need to talk to a local lawyer about the form of business (sub-s corporation or sole proprietorship). If a sole proprietorship, does Florida have a fictitious name statute? (Georgia used to when I was in practice there several decades ago; I certainly haven't kept up with that area of the law). You might also check local solicitation ordinances. The business friendly city where I live in business friendly Texas requires registration with the city and photo id before door to door solicitation which you have indicated is part of your business plan. I'm sure there is a lot more that I've missed. And of course, I'm not licensed in Florida, so I couldn't offer advice, anyway, except that you should talk to a local lawyer that knows what he is doing.

Looking through a glass brightly window cleaning...

Actually, I kind of like Pilgrims,

I've seen others use initials of the one's they love for their business name. For my family, it would be RERD (My name, husband's name, and my two children). Have you thought of something like that? And at the end add on like "Window and Pressure Cleaning".

Also, another suggestion for advertising: Social Media. My daughter picked up a lot of customers for her cleaning business by using social media and having others write reviews for her. From seeing her business grow, it's been a lot of "word of mouth" type of thing. I see you wrote going around to neighborhoods and introducing your business... whats your radius? Only around your home or however long away?

Another suggestion for a business name is to use your last name. I can think of several such small businesses in our area, and it just seems to work. But then I don't know if we like your last name either! :) Care to share so we can judge?

I don't know about the going door to door thing. I wonder if there's more intolerance for that these days than in former times. I know I appreciate more a card or flyer left near my mailbox or porch- but maybe that's just curmudgeonly me.

I wish you well on your venture, Ryan. I hope its successful and satisfying to you and your family.

Oh, also consider how to advertise on your vehicle; when neighbors see you working at someone's home, they'll be able to get your info easily.

For what it's worth, you can expect to get a few "Howdy Pilgrim" remarks from the John Wayne fans if you go with that name.

I was thinking about this driving around for work today....

What about "Golden Rule Window & Pressure Cleaning"? There are a lot of businesses out there that use Golden Rule as part of their name so you'd have to check into all of that.

It's not as "divisive" as the word Pilgrim (in reference to Jack's point above). Everyone is cool with "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you". It would let people know upfront that this is someone who at least should/claims to be ethical and kind in their dealings with customers.

It's also a great conversation starter- which can lead down the road to explaining how God's love to us in Christ enables us to love our neighbor.

Thank you all for your input. Randy, I took your input into mind by making my slogan "reflecting the virtues that founded our country."

My last name is Klemmer. Not the best sounding name. Also, I have read that going into neighborhoods is the best way to market as this helps build a rout so I'm not driving all over town doing random homes I plan on staying within my county.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back