Same Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

default

Puritan Board Freshman
It is customary, sometimes even encouraged, to name the first male child after his father. This is usually done by adding suffixes JR, Sr. etc. My own son has his father's name, but instead of a suffix he has two middle names, both his grandfathers. His father's name is Joseph Charles (Charles being his father's name) and my son's name is Joseph Charles Anthony (Anthony my father's name).

I've heard nightmares where the father's take the son's identity and mess with their credit. And it's a fear I have for my son.

So, my question, would you name your son after his father?
 
Originally posted by Loriann
It is customary, sometimes even encouraged, to name the first male child after his father. This is usually done by adding suffixes JR, Sr. etc. My own son has his father's name, but instead of a suffix he has two middle names, both his grandfathers. His father's name is Joseph Charles (Charles being his father's name) and my son's name is Joseph Charles Anthony (Anthony my father's name).

I've heard nightmares where the father's take the son's identity and mess with their credit. And it's a fear I have for my son.

So, my question, would you name your son after his father?

I do not have the same name as my dad, only the same initials (J.M.G.). --- Even so, I once had an issue where my credit info was mixed up with my dad's when I went to buy my first vehicle.

Nevertheless, I love having the same initials as my dad. And I have considered naming my son after me, if I ever have one. (I haven't decided yet for sure, though.)

All in all, I think it just depends on personal preference. If the dad has horrible credit, then I can see why there might be some worry. But even then I probably wouldn't let it keep me from naming my son whatever I want to name him.

I think it just comes down to the personal feelings of the parents. If both are for it, then go for it. If one or both parents really hates the idea, then find another name.

That's just my :2cents:
 
I'm Daniel Scott McPherson II.

My dad didn't want people calling me junior so he made me the second.
 
I'm not a fan of Jrs and have attempted to give my children original (from ours) names (other than they may share a middle name).

As far as your concern....it is possible that he will have to deal with his father's credit or his father will have to deal with his.
 
Ok how is this for confusion. (At least as I heard the family story.)

The first son was to be named for the grand fathers, John Frederick with a second son being the junior. Due to a difficult pregnancy my brother got Charles Andrew Schultz, Jr. and seven years later I got John Frederick. (My birth certificate actually reads John Frederick Schultz Folger.)

On top of that, when I was in high school we got a sailboat. The previous owner had named her Honestly. So after several months of our boat being known as ex-Honestly (not a good name for sailboat racing), Dad named her Sally. It turned out that Sally was the "pet" name for both my brother and me until the doctor informed Mom that she had a healthy boy. (There was no ultra-sound back in the 40's.)
 
I would prefer using "numerical titles" than "sr. jr. etc". But we do not name sons after the fathers in my family...identities have been stolen by other relatives (may Dad and others have had to change their names)...not worth it atleast in my family.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top