Our faith is an apostolic faith, that is, it is founded upon the teaching of the Apostles. This teaching is preserved in their writings which we have in the Canon.
One of the best points that Warfield has made is that the Church has never been without Scripture as he noted in The Formation of the Canon of the New Testament which is worth a read if you have the time.
The issue is whether the inspired works that we do not have in the Canon (St. Paul's third letter to the Corinthians being one example) contained additional revelation to what we find in the Canon now? I for one would say that it didn't.
As for whether the Scriptures contain God's word or are God's word is something I am not 100% set upon but I would maintain that every word in the Canon is inerrant.
One of the best points that Warfield has made is that the Church has never been without Scripture as he noted in The Formation of the Canon of the New Testament which is worth a read if you have the time.
The issue is whether the inspired works that we do not have in the Canon (St. Paul's third letter to the Corinthians being one example) contained additional revelation to what we find in the Canon now? I for one would say that it didn't.
As for whether the Scriptures contain God's word or are God's word is something I am not 100% set upon but I would maintain that every word in the Canon is inerrant.