Catholic & Eastern Orthodox baptism valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a practical question for me. I am in a country where Greek Orthodoxy is the "state" and official religion. But I will some day be back in the states, Lord willing, and be where Catholics are numerous as well.

I aim to evangelize English-speaking Greek Cypriots (so they may in turn evangelize their Greek-only speaking compatriots), and anticipate the Lord converting some.

I was talking with my fellow elder today about receiving various folks into membership in our fledgling church plant, and we happened upon the topic of Catholics and Orthodox wanting to join.

How many of you consider the baptisms of these organizations valid? I know there is difference of opinion among solid Reformed folks.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this.

Steve

I personally am still working through this. I like Thornwell's argument, but then I don't want to dismiss the Reformers and Westminster divines. Both have good arguments. It's just hard for me to fathom Roman Catholicism (or EO) as christian, and therefore their sacrament as a legitimate Christian sacrament. They have both rejected the gospel. But that is not why I responded here.

I have a professor here who was a pastor in northern Ireland. They had several converts from Rome and interestingly all of them wished to be baptized. The converts didn't consider their Roman baptism to be legitimate at all. So he would baptize them. They wanted a clean break from Roman Catholicism. The denomination had a similar position to the PCA, leaving it up to the session to decide.

So what do your EO converts desire? Are they seeking baptism again? Or do they consider their own baptism valid? Just curious. It may help work through the issue there at the local level. :2cents:

Thank you all for the thoughts, leads, and information. I will have to consider it all.

I was just talking with a Cypriot friend, who converted from Orthodoxy to "Evangelical" Christianity (years ago, not in my church), and he wanted to be re-baptized. I think he is of baptistic suasion (as many of the Evangelicals are here, and Arminian to boot), and it may be he did not consider his infant baptism per se valid, be it EO or any.

My wife converted from Greek Orthodoxy to an evangelical faith in Christ, and went directly into a PCA congregation (Redeemer in Manhattan -- which she loves and misses sorely), and is content her baptism is valid.

It is significant to me Luther and Calvin, despite strong opposition to Rome, did not seek re-baptism. But, as I said, I will have to consider all the above material. I do anticipate it coming up, for I am asking the Lord for converts, and I want my mind settled.

Thanks again, all.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back