Celtics Basketball: Deja Vu of the 80's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I must admit, I'm not a very good Celtics fan, having come here from NJ (born and raised) by way of Virginia (college). I arrived when the Celtics were second to none (alright, the Ponders...I mean Lakers...were ok too), with Bird, Ainge, Johnson, etc pulling off some pretty amazing victories right at the buzzer. I was of course a faithful fan back then, until one-by-one the dream team retired, and the team could only go one way from there - down hill. My faithfulness as a fan was tested at that point, I failed the test. Over the years since, I'd catch a game here and there, but it just wasn't the same.

I've caught the last couple of Celtics games, and I must say I'm really impressed with Rajon Rondo:

act_rajon_rondo.jpg

One man does not make a team, but watching him play makes me wonder if "the Celtics are back!". He seems to have a poise out there, kind of like he owns the floor. An excellent shooter, and a team player. I think the Celtics really have a winning combination.

Of course I know you'll respond in the affirmative, but I'll ask anyway. Do you agree the Celtics once again are going to be unstoppable just like they were back in the 80's?

Despite being a Texan I like the Celtics and remember the "glory years" of the 80's! What a team.:2cents:

Does that mean I have to put up with the cry baby Larry Bird again?

Come on, now. He may have done some whining in his days, but compared to the spoiled brats playing today?!?! Give me Bird any day of the week over these pampered posers that call themselves professionals in the NBA now.

Come on, now. He may have done some whining in his days, but compared to the spoiled brats playing today?!?! Give me Bird any day of the week over these pampered posers that call themselves professionals in the NBA now.

I'm not talking about his whining. I'm talking about his crying like a baby in 1979 after Indiana States loss.

BTW, I can hardly stomach watching the NBA any more. If I want to see thugs and gangsters play roundball I can go to the park in Prichard. At least at that game there are no blind refs. It costs a lot less, too.

<thinking back>
Wrack my brain as I may, I can't seem to recall any incidents of a "cry baby Larry Bird" Nothing comes to mind...Larry Bird expressing valid concerns, yes...:lol:

-----Added 12/4/2008 at 02:53:10 EST-----

The Lakers are back too it seems. This rivalry is fun and I hope it is back.
I agree. It'd be nice to rekindle that old rivalry, see some more close games (with the Celtics winning at the buzzer, of course).

I remember seeing Larry Bird shoot 30 balls in a row from three-point range, and make every single one of them (of course there was no one trying to prevent him). There were five balls on each rack, ranged around the whole semi-circle. It was amazing.

:ditto:
I remember seeing Larry Bird shoot 30 balls in a row from three-point range, and make every single one of them (of course there was no one trying to prevent him). There were five balls on each rack, ranged around the whole semi-circle. It was amazing.
:ditto:, and he wasn't too shabby out there when someone was trying to prevent him as well.

-----Added 12/4/2008 at 03:36:17 EST-----

Oh, the memories...

[video=youtube;p_nfsq4pTpI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_nfsq4pTpI[/video]

I will admit it. Bird was fun to watch. I just always had the scene in the back of my mind. It used to drive me crazy though when they would run that four corner offense at the end of games. Thankfully it brought in the shot clock. If the NBA had players like they did then I'd watch more of it. The last time I was watching it with any regularity was in the Suns heyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back