Christ-Centered Worship Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourner

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello! Its been a long time since Ive visited this forum. Hello everyone! :)

By the way does anyone here have this book... pls. see my avatar.
I asked my brother to buy it for me online since its not available where I live. Anyway would love to hear your comments about this book. I enrolled before at MINTS Seminary and this book is required for us to read...

It's a good book. It explains the elements of traditional Reformed worship and how they are structured so that the congregation repeats the gospel message in each service. The liturgy tells a story, Chapell says. It ought to tell the gospel story. Worship is also witness. By it we proclaim the goodness of the gospel to God, to ourselves and each other, and even to unbelievers. His main interest is in how the liturgy reinforces the gospel message.

The book is more technical than the average lay-person would want, but I wish more of the worship leaders in the evangelical world's churches would read it. They would benefit. Many have no concept of the things this book is talking about. It includes a fair amount of Reformation-era liturgical history. More people should be aware of such things.

Those who have the strongest views about exactly what elements of worship ought to be allowed, what song origins are permitted, use of instruments, etc. will probably come across spots where they find Chapell too permissive. But the outlook is basically Reformed. His main interest is not in discussing what is permitted but rather in showing how Reformed liturgies repeat, every week, the gospel of Christ.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that I don't have much to contribute to this thread.... I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Pinay! Hi Leah. :)

Try Amazon, perhaps? Shipping might cost extra--I'm not sure.

It's a good book. It explains the elements of traditional Reformed worship and how they are structured so that the congregation repeats the gospel message in each service. The liturgy tells a story, Chapell says. It ought to tell the gospel story. Worship is also witness. By it we proclaim the goodness of the gospel to God, to ourselves and each other, and even to unbelievers. His main interest is in how the liturgy reinforces the gospel message.

The book is more technical than the average lay-person would want, but I wish more of the worship leaders in the evangelical world's churches would read it. They would benefit. Many have no concept of the things this book is talking about. It includes a fair amount of Reformation-era liturgical history. More people should be aware of such things.

Those who have the strongest views about exactly what elements of worship ought to be allowed, what song origins are permitted, use of instruments, etc. will probably come across spots where they find Chapell too permissive. But the outlook is basically Reformed. His main interest is not in discussing what is permitted but rather in showing how Reformed liturgies repeat, every week, the gospel of Christ.
Hi Leah;
I agree with what Jack says. What is worship like in your home parish

Thanks for all your reply. Actually I haven't started reading the book.. and my online MA course at MINTS was kinda... put on hold because of another interest of mine (Im interested in Chinese studies, arts and culture also).

Thanks Jack K. for replying, and for summarizing it..

Ruben.. I already have the book.. sorry did that way I post sounds like I still havent got the book? My brother got it for me...

Hi Kat! Yup I already have this book. That's why Im using it as my Avatar. Kamusta? Nasa US ka? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back