Christian Teaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS116

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello PBers,

I just wanted to ask, how would someone who is reformed go about teaching or incorporating biblical theology or systematic theology in a non reformed private school? In addition how would one go about teaching these things to children with parents from different denominational backgrounds? If anyone needs further elaboration just say so and I will try to make the details clearer.

Here is an example:

John (a URCNA elder) got a call from Kim, a non-denom charismatic member, asking to assist with teaching a group of kids that come to her summer camp.Kim called John because she feels that John is passionate about Jesus and kids. The only standard is that he MUST use the bible when teaching. John is warned that not all of the kids have the same background. Some kids are from Baptist,Pentecostal,Presbyterian,Methodist and other denominations. How should John approach the task, knowing that the kids will not be familiar with some of John's teachings? Is it even possible for John to teach in these conditions?

I was a teacher in a private Christian school for a couple of years teaching Bible (and English 6-9, and Writing, and Reading Strategies, and...wait, I'm getting sidetracked).

In the parent meeting before school started, I told them up-front that I am a conservative Baptist and a Calvinist (I was careful to define this) who believed in the inerrancy, inspiration, and authority of the Bible. I asked for questions, and got exactly zero that night. I told them that I would respect their child's beliefs, and their authority over their children, but would also present what Scripture teaches on a given matter (i.e., charismata, complementarianism, etc.) and that they would be responsible for the material on exams.

I was careful not to be argumentative, and made obvious and intentional efforts to listen to the students' points and questions, and to reason with them from Scripture. I spent one semester on Bible survey and one semester on Christian doctrine. When we came to things where Christians disagree, i.e., dispensationalism vs. covenantal theology, I explained both sides and gave my reasons from Scripture for rejecting dispensationalism. At this point, several parents began to come to me throughout the year with questions and I explained to them just as I had to their students. Sometimes they were questions about the lecture; other times about something I had preached in chapel; and quite a few had questions about things their pastors had preached (tread carefully here, be respectful toward the other man, assume the best in keeping with the 9th commandment, but don't back down from Scripture). With the particular families involved at our school, and with the administration's oversight, these methods were acceptable.

Some schools don't have a formal written statement of belief, but if you call the "Left Behind" movies into question, you're going to get in very hot water. Perhaps the best advice I have been given in ministry is "Don't be an idiot." I would treat the class as a matter of laying a foundation wisely for the particular kids in your classroom. That starts with good classroom management; this is not youth group on Wednesday night, nor is it camp. You're the teacher. Act like one or nobody will learn anything all year.

Very few students will have any grounding in biblical basics, much less catechism, biblical theology or systematics; teach them the categories, give them the big picture, reason from Scripture, show them the unity of God's purpose, and be up-front with your convictions. As they grow in grace and knowledge, they'll disagree with you at points. And that's okay. You're the teacher, they're the students, and they must respect and submit to you; they must learn the material; but they don't have to agree with you. And this generation can sniff out a fraud from half a mile away, so teach according to your convictions and when they disagree, show them respectfullyhow they think that because of their deficient view of grace, or depravity, or whatever. Show them the interconnectedness of Scripture and theology. Show them how Scripture possesses and reveals a systematic theology. Demonstrate its sufficiency in such a way that they delight in the riches of God's word. Use the catechism freely here. And apply what they're learning every day! Show them how having a biblical view of the Trinity affects daily life and helps them to walk before God in holiness and joy. Help them learn to read the Bible on its own terms (i.e., context, genre, etc.) In many ways you will be doing what most youth pastors never even dream is possible. Steward each class hour well.

Above all else, define again and again what the gospel is and how it is revealed across the various loci of theology. Half of the kids I taught were in private school because they'd been kicked out of public school (drugs, fights, etc). Theology leads us to the living Christ. Aquinas said well that theology has God as its Author, its Subject, and its end. Show them the riches of all that God is for us in Christ.

Practically, one last thing -- reason from the Bible. Reason from the Bible. Reason from the Bible. Reason from the Bible. ;-)

Have fun!

Last edited:
I should also add that I had them memorize major Bible verses for weekly quizzes and monthly tests (i.e., Psalm 103, Isaiah 53, 1 John 1, etc.), and to try to personalize the study of theology I had them do a research presentation on the Reformer or Puritan of their choice (from a list I provided). They had to dress like their character and address the major area(s) of Christian theology that their character emphasized. That was a really fun project and several of them began reading Puritan works as a result.

If God grants that I teach again, my students will also memorize the creeds (i.e., Apostles, Nicene) and will make substantial progress in memorizing the catechism.

I keep a Bible on my desk and refer to scripture for literary examples. I am currently working on a Cotton Mather project - primarily regarding his medical work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back