Christ's human nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupotea

Puritan Board Junior
Now my mind is running a little bit confused (maybe it's late afternoon,
I'm tired, didn't have my cup of coffee), so I have this question:

Is the human nature Christ assumed created or not?

Yes it was created, for it wouldn't be human nature if it wasn't created. However, it was not created in the normal way but rather by divine intervention.

Dear Duncan,

“Is the human nature Christ assumed created or not?”

To expand your question a little, we know that Christ was
A: fully and truly God
B: fully and truly man.

If A and B, then C: Christ must have retained both a God-nature, and a human-nature. If C, then was the human-nature created or not-created?

I doubt you refer to the physical human being? If yes, then clearly this was created.

You probably refer to the non-physical human nature of Christ? We go down the road of Nestorius or the Monophysites unless great care is taken.

I think it safest to adopt the mystery of the admixture of natures as defined by the Westminster scholars [VIII], or to adopt another approximate statement.

“II: The Son of God, the second person of the Trinity, being very and eternal God, of one substance and equal with the Father, did, when the fullness of time was come, take upon Him man's nature, with all the essential properties, and common infirmities thereof, yet without sin; being conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost, in the womb of the virgin Mary, of her substance. So that two whole, perfect, and distinct natures, the Godhead and the manhood, were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion, composition, or confusion. Which person is very God, and very man, yet one Christ, the only Mediator between God and man.”

I guess I lean to asking ‘How does discussion about your question edify the saints, glorify God, and/or render the deserved praise and glory due to the Second Person of the Trinity?”

Dave Wood
Grace Community Bible Church
Melbourne, Victoria

Now my mind is running a little bit confused (maybe it's late afternoon,
I'm tired, didn't have my cup of coffee), so I have this question:

Is the human nature Christ assumed created or not?

Are you wondering if Christ has eternally possessed a human nature? Christ's nature is the *same* nature that we have...except without sin. I believe it makes the most sense to say He was united to the human nature at conception by the Holy Spirit. Before the Holy Spirit came upon Mary, Christ's human nature was not.

To say His human nature has eternally existed would seem to affirm human nature is divine.

Yes, His human nature was created through a miraculous virgin conception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back