Church attendance required

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Fred made this comment in the Christmas thread.


Whenever the Church calls a corporate worship service, it can NEVER be voluntary. It is always required. And so the Church must not establish non-Lord's Day Church holidays (as opposed to days off of work that society recognizes and when families get together for food, etc).

While I see the value in maybe even the truth in that statement I have a personal concern.

My work simply does not allow me to attend services every time there are services. I work 7/24 hour days followed by 3/24 hour days off. Then it's 7/24 hour days of work followed by 4/24 hour days off.

EVERY chance I get to go to my church services I go, ocasionally I even get to go when we are working (if I am owed some time off etc). Most times though, when working, I do not get to go.

We are required to attend a service every Sunday that we are working with our kids, but it is a United Church of Christ service and pretty much completely pointless.

Would you all say I am sinning by working with the kids I work with and attending this liberal hogwash of a service? My wife and I meet with our Pastor every other week to discuss the services we miss and important studies. We are looking at Covenant theology now to help my wife get a better understanding of it.

After prayer and meditation I do not feel that I am sinning against God doing the work that I do. I witness to my kids and take them to our services when possible. I educate them on the truth after our silly services here as well.

While I LOVE the zeal everyone has here, I often suspect some of you would think I am in sin and should not do the work I do because I have to miss some services in order to do the job.

Just looking for opinions here.

Thanks!
 
Adam,

You must first examine before God whether you are violating the 4th commandment - whether your work is one of necessity or mercy. if it is, and because of it you are Providentially hindered from attending your church (to which you are responsible), you have no obligation (as I see it) to attend an apostate or worthless exercise.

The issue I was getting at was not necessary work or providential hindrance, but neglect.
 
I don't want this to come off like I am "bothered" with your comment Fred as I am NOT!

I just wondered what you and others thought of my situation.

As for this,

you have no obligation (as I see it) to attend an apostate or worthless exercise.

We MUST attend the service on campus and it is worthless and apostate, that's for sure! While we are on that let me ask this.

I NEVER take the Lords Supper at this service. I am extremely sick just having to be there, and almost everyone partakes including those who openly deny Christ! Some of my brethern (non-reformed of course) have told me I should take the Lords Supper just for my benefit. Thoughts on that?
 
Is your work affiliated with the United Church of Christ?

If not, could you press to have them "try" out your church? Just an idea, and I'm sure you've already considered.

In my opinion, Adam: you are not sinning. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't push for change.
 
Yes it's affiliated with the UCC. I may be able to take the kids to our church instead on OCASION.

edited to add

PS- I've pushed so hard for change I have almost been fired several times.:)

[Edited on 26-11-2004 by houseparent]
 
UCC Services

Originally posted by houseparent
I don't want this to come off like I am "bothered" with your comment Fred as I am NOT!

I just wondered what you and others thought of my situation.

As for this,

you have no obligation (as I see it) to attend an apostate or worthless exercise.

We MUST attend the service on campus and it is worthless and apostate, that's for sure! While we are on that let me ask this.

I NEVER take the Lords Supper at this service. I am extremely sick just having to be there, and almost everyone partakes including those who openly deny Christ! Some of my brethern (non-reformed of course) have told me I should take the Lords Supper just for my benefit. Thoughts on that?

Adam,

My counsel would be that you are not sinning, but I would not partake of the sacrament.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top