Commentaries on John's Epistles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I am just coming to the end of a study in Ecclesiastes and decided to do John's Epistles next. Which commentaries would you recommend?

I am currently favoring FF Bruce and Colin G. Kruse (£5 and £25 respectively). Anyone got views on these commentaries or others?

I am just coming to the end of a study in Ecclesiastes and decided to do John's Epistles next. Which commentaries would you recommend?

I am currently favoring FF Bruce and Colin G. Kruse (£5 and £25 respectively). Anyone got views on these commentaries or others?

I recommend Kruse, Stott, Marshall, Yarbrough, Jobes, and O'Donnell. Also, the structure of 1 John (always a seriously difficult thing to come up with) is no better laid out than here.

I recommend Kruse, Stott, Marshall, Yarbrough, Jobes, and O'Donnell. Also, the structure of 1 John (always a seriously difficult thing to come up with) is no better laid out than here.

Lane, regarding your post #57 there, I'd say that 1 John is more elliptical in structure than cyclical.

Lane, regarding your post #57 there, I'd say that 1 John is more elliptical in structure than cyclical.

Thou hast lost me, dear Richard. Couldst thou elaborate? :smug:

I love J.C. Ryle's commentaries on the gospels. They are very pastoral and applicable, not technical if that's what you are looking for.

I am not usually a great fan of John R. W. Stott but their are some nice features to his commentary on The Epistles of John. Stott shows that one of Saint John's purposes in these epistles is to bring believers to a knowledge that they have eternal life. Saint John is equally at pains to show that unbelievers/false believers do not have eternal life.

Thou hast lost me, dear Richard. Couldst thou elaborate? :smug:

More spiral than circle, it seems to me (sorry about the late answer). John makes a point, then makes it again while adding his next point. Then, he makes the latter point again, this time adding a new point. The entire letter is not like this, but large chunks of it seem to be. I probably didn't explain this very well, but I hope you know what I'm getting at.

Remember the primary source

When Jesus prayed to the Father in John 17 it was :"sactify them through the truth, your word is truth." Rabbis in Jesus day commented on the scriptures also and some had valuable things to say. It is the scriptures first and foremost that the Spirit illumines our heart to know Him and our hope.

Mark Dever recently lectured at The Spurgeon Center about sermon preparation (first video): http://www.credomag.com/2016/02/11/...Feed:+CredoMagazineBlog+(Credo+Magazine+Blog)

This lecture was foundational, focusing on reading and hearing the text. I believe this lecture is immensely profound and helpful.

As for John the Apostle. He was the disciple that Jesus personally taught probably more than any. John's words are plain and yet very profound, much like Jesus' words when giving teaching.

At the beginning of Acts we have Peter and John going into the Temple at Jerusalem and rightfully since this was a transitional time period. By the time 1John is written, full, New Covenant ideas fill this book. Christ as propitious, not the temple sacrifice. The New Covenantal anointing (2.20,27) signaling the break with the OT House of Aaron and the Levites as a fulfillment of Jer.31.31.

Though The New Covenant is not explicitly mentioned it is inherent in this, one of the last books closing the canon.

Continuity also

As 1John is discontinuous it is also continuous.

Reading Ezekiel 18 and then 1John is striking about behavior as evidence of conversion.

Colin Kruse

In his commentary on Romans he states that he doesn't know whose genealogy is found in Luke 3 (I think it is in the first chapter he says this in the Roman's Commentary). I would think this is foundational to recognize that its Mary's brothers' lineage (and thus Mary's and the humanity of Jesus). This is what Luke was doing, tying Jesus to Adam. So I was Disappointed with his understanding on that point. This is the only Kruse commentary I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back