Communion Tokens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Tempus faciendi, Domine.
[segue from the fencing thread]:

Do any of our PB members know of congregations today that still regularly use communion tokens?

The practice has of course died out everywhere, but I'm curious if there might be a few holdouts here and there.

Do any of our PB members know of congregations today that still regularly use communion tokens?

The practice has of course died out everywhere, but I'm curious if there might be a few holdouts here and there.

There are various churches related to the Disruption Free Church of Scotland which generally continue the practice.

Are you talking about those little styrofoam circles they try to pass off as bread? Those are close enough to plastic to be considered a token...

Jeff, some churches used to require people to attend a service prepatory to participation of the Lord's table. Tokens affirmed their preparation and were handed in to receive communion at a later service. I''ve heard of the practice, perhaps in the old Southern Presbyterian church, but have never seen it.

Yes, our congregation uses communion tokens. I believe communion tokens are still used in all FP congregations.

Jeff, some churches used to require people to attend a service prepatory to participation of the Lord's table. Tokens affirmed their preparation and were handed in to receive communion at a later service. I''ve heard of the practice, perhaps in the old Southern Presbyterian church, but have never seen it.

How long is there generally between the receiving of the token and the taking of communion?

Interesting! I had no idea this was still practiced. I suppose if I visited a church that was serving communion like this, I'd be optimistic about the earnestness with which the table is regarded.

Most of the Presbyterian churches here in Northern Ireland would still use communion tokens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back