Continental Reformed Polity

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathtolife

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello there-

Can anyone refer me to literature that is on polity from a dutch/continental reformed tradition?

Thanks!

With Common Consent: A Practical Guide to the Use of the Church Order of the Canadian Reformed Churches. by WWJ Van Oene is the best I have read. Although written for the CanRC it applies to all Reformed churches who use the Church Order of Dordt as a basis for their own Church Order, which is most of them. He emphasises the non-hierarchical nature of Reformed church government and explains many practical aspects of each of the Articles.

Besides VanOene, there's also The Church Order Commentary by Van Dellen and Monsma. Just make sure that you get the third edition (it's based more closely on the Church Order of Dort). There's also a lot of helpful information at this website: officebearers.com

The Church Order Commentary (co-written by my great-uncle Martin Monsma) is, I have heard, considered the go-to reference among works published in the U.S. I suppose its reputation may have been built up just a wee bit within my own family. But when I've paged through the copy that now languishes in my dad's basement, I've found it to be not just a good reference but interesting reading.

You can still get it in print, or now as an e-book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back