Covenant and Justification Horton Piper and Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwithnell

Staff member
Could someone help me sort out what's involved here:

Covenant and Justification: Horton vs. Piper and Wright

A reading of Biblical Theology doesn't give me any sense of a need to categorize the covenants. God revealed Himself over time in a unilateral, covenant relationship with man that came to full bloom in Christ and will be fulfilled in the last day.

And it seems absolutely orthodox that God pays the penalty for our sin and imputes His righteousness to us.

So what's up with these guys? I know Mr. Piper mostly from some very thoughtful biographies he's written and a few sermons, not many.

It's a pretty big and involved question you ask. it would be hard to give a clear answer to it without knowing your understanding of covenant theology. I recommend reading an intro to covenant theology like Robertson's or Horton's. I read both of them which helped me understand what the current justification issue is between these three gentlemen. Also, The Marrow of Modern Divinity has been very helpful. The argument differences between Horton and Piper are not obvious without a reasonable understanding of CT...at least my little brain did not see the differences before engaging with some of the above mentioned books.

Actually, I've got a good background. I've read (and heard) O Palmer Robertson and have read G. Vos' Biblical Theology and Pauline Eschatology. I've also sat under solid, exegetical preaching for many blessed years.

On first posting, I missed the Federal Vision connection since I generally just tune those guys out.

Horton is very clear in his writings and radio program that our justification results from our membership in the covenant of grace and based on the work of Christ alone. Justification is never found outside of the covenant of grace as it results from the covenant of grace, and is always and only based on the active/passive obedience of Christ. When Piper talks and writes about justification he does not place the doctrine inside covenant language, nor does he always and consistantly attribute it to the work of Christ, but rather places justification more generally "in the air" like the article said and tends to related it to "God" in general (the Father?), rather than Christ specifically. Also, like the article said, Piper tends to relate justification to language that speaks of us falling short of God's glory and needing Him to fill that gap for us, whereas Horton is much more specific by placing our fallen nature as the problem causing us to fail at the covenant of works so that Christ's fulfilling of the CoW would be imputed to us. I just find Horton's approach much more helpful in a full-orbed understanding of justification.

This is just my understanding, I am just learning as well. I benefited the most from Horton's covenant intro and The Marrow of Modern Divinity so I still recommend those if you are interested. I did not find Biblical Theology particularily helpful in understanding covenant theology, but it is very helpful background with which to study CT.

Oh ya, and now we should import Union with Christ into the conversation...but that is very controversial these days!

Mmmm. Mr. Piper writes well about Reformed folks, and I've not seen any red flags. Then again, he's more in the Baptist tradition, isn't he? And likely inherited some of his theology from his evangelist father. I do like his all-out love for God and his plea for people to examine how they spend their lives.

FYI, I started reading Mr. Vos' Biblical Theology because I kept seeing him quoted in regard to the covenant. It is one of the most doxological works I've ever read.

Many folks (not all) assume that Piper is Reformed Baptist. I would not agree (like many on the PB), but would classify him more as a 5-point "regular" baptist. I thank God for Piper as He has used his ministry to reach typical evangelicals with His Word. However, I also thank God for Horton for providing those of us seeking more with a more precise understanding of our justification in Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back