Darby versus the Schofield Bible?

You ever looked up Schofield? That guy was something else. Con artist, thief, horrible family man, guilty of plagiarism, etc, etc.

You ever looked up Schofield? That guy was something else. Con artist, thief, horrible family man, guilty of plagiarism, etc, etc.
Possibly, but people would probably say the same things, and have the same attitude towards David if he did what he did in recent history. I can see it now "have you ever looked up David? He murdered a guy because he got his wife pregnant, he ate the show-bread, he joined the enemies of Israel and killed his own people...." Yet God still called him a man after his own heart. Not saying such things arent worth reflection, but when I do see such things, I always have to remember that nobody is perfect.

Last edited:
Possibly, but people would probably say the same things, and have the same attitude towards David if he did what he did in recent history. I can see it now "have you ever looked up David? The guy murdered a guy so he could sleep with his wife...." Yet God still called him a man after his own heart. Not saying such things arent worth reflection, but when I do see such things, I always have to remember that nobody is perfect.
True but all this was going on after his "jailhouse" conversion. I'm not speaking to his conversion, I don't know that, but having known a lot of crooks and swindler's in my day his behavior post-conversion seemed to me to just be taking his prior skills and applying them to working the Christian revival system for money.
One story, and this is all public knowledge BTW, is he was making plenty of money but wasn't sending any home to his family because he had a bad case of the "Schofielditus", his first wife I believe divorced him over these sorts of incidents. Also nice comparison but I think when you actually look him up you'll discover no repentance at least outwardly.
But to the OP you said "he wouldn't recognize himself in today's version of his theology, or something like that", what did you mean? I knew Presbyterians loved him, at least some, but why? Did the book get into that?
Sorry didn't mean to take this discussion in a different direction.

Respectfully, these comments are off topic. Can we consider expunging them from the thread? Thanks.
My bad. I was writing an explanation and apology when you posted this. What was it that Reformed folk liked so much about his theology, Darby? The book looks fascinating.

That was sloppy of me. I should have said that, according to the author (Gribben), Dabney found some aspects of the Plymouth brethren theology worthy of praise.

Attachments

• IMG_7445.png
    IMG_7445.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7447.png
    IMG_7447.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 6
That was sloppy of me. I should have said that, according to the author (Gribben), Dabney found some aspects of the Plymouth brethren theology worthy of praise.
In substance, this says that the Plymouth Brethren held to a Calvinistic soteriology. It's true, Dabney acknowledges that. However, the OP reads as though the peculiar doctrines and innovations of Darby were approved of by some in the Presbyterian Church.

Some Presbyterians, like C. I. Scofield and Lewis Sperry Chafer, certainly would have appreciated Darby's doctrine, but it was roundly rejected by Confessional Presbyterians (Dabney's article is an example).

Back