DaveJes1979
Puritan Board Freshman
Hi, everyone.
I wanted to get some advice from y'all about the propriety of dating a Reformed Baptist girl. She is fairly young (21), and grew up in her RB church. She admits that she hasn't challenged her own views on theology much, but that she considered the "paedo" view as misunderstanding Scripture or perhaps an open option as "Christian liberty."
I know that some of you may have dated/married RBs (or former RBs), and I wondered what your experience was. How did you "convince" them? Or did they just "submit" to your authority? I'd be interested in hearing about other peoples' experiences here.
I grew up Baptist myself, but my "conversion" to the paedo side was so gradual, over years, that I can't really pinpoint a single definitive reason, prooftext, or "lightbulb" moment for me. I just kept seeing the fundamental connection between the covenant with Abraham and the covenant of grace as applied to the NT church, that it seemed to me a necessary inference to connect the function of circumcision with the function of baptism.
She seems to be just developing her knowledge of theology, so maybe she could use an R.C. Sproul-level introduction to paedobaptism. Please suggest to me any resource - book, online article, whatever, that would serve as a good primer to help persuade her Scripturally.
Thanks ahead of time.
Edited for signature:
David Gadbois
Aerospace Engineer
Member, Ontario United Reformed Church
Ontario, California
URCNA
[Edited on 9-27-2006 by Scott Bushey]
I wanted to get some advice from y'all about the propriety of dating a Reformed Baptist girl. She is fairly young (21), and grew up in her RB church. She admits that she hasn't challenged her own views on theology much, but that she considered the "paedo" view as misunderstanding Scripture or perhaps an open option as "Christian liberty."
I know that some of you may have dated/married RBs (or former RBs), and I wondered what your experience was. How did you "convince" them? Or did they just "submit" to your authority? I'd be interested in hearing about other peoples' experiences here.
I grew up Baptist myself, but my "conversion" to the paedo side was so gradual, over years, that I can't really pinpoint a single definitive reason, prooftext, or "lightbulb" moment for me. I just kept seeing the fundamental connection between the covenant with Abraham and the covenant of grace as applied to the NT church, that it seemed to me a necessary inference to connect the function of circumcision with the function of baptism.
She seems to be just developing her knowledge of theology, so maybe she could use an R.C. Sproul-level introduction to paedobaptism. Please suggest to me any resource - book, online article, whatever, that would serve as a good primer to help persuade her Scripturally.
Thanks ahead of time.
Edited for signature:
David Gadbois
Aerospace Engineer
Member, Ontario United Reformed Church
Ontario, California
URCNA
[Edited on 9-27-2006 by Scott Bushey]
