David Clarkson

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
David Clarkson, English Puritan (February 1621 - June 14, 1686), was a notable minister of the gospel whose writings have left a profound legacy. He tutored John Tillotson and others at Clare Hall. He was ejected for nonconformity in 1662. He contributed a couple of the Cripplegate Sermons: 1) What Christians must do, that the influence of the ordinances may abide upon them; and 2) The Doctrine of Justification is dangerously corrupted in the Roman Church. Among his other sermons are: Soul Idolatry Excludes Men Out of Heaven and Public Worship to be Preferred Before Private. He served as a co-pastor with John Owen at the end of Owen's life and preached Owen's funeral sermon at which he said of Owen: "We have had a light in this candlestick, we have had a light in this candlestick, which did not only enlighten the room, but gave light to others fare and near: but it is put out. We did not sufficiently value it." When Clarkson died, his funeral sermon was preached by William Bates.

When Clarkson died, his funeral sermon was preached by William Bates.

Speaking of Bates (1625-1699): besides his dates, and his book The Harmony of the Divine Attributes in the Contrivance and Accomplishment of Man's Redemption, which I've started reading, I can't find out anything about him - not even the date when this book was published. Google is no help.

Anyone have the lowdown on this guy?

Speaking of Bates (1625-1699): besides his dates, and his book The Harmony of the Divine Attributes in the Contrivance and Accomplishment of Man's Redemption, which I've started reading, I can't find out anything about him - not even the date when this book was published. Google is no help.

Anyone have the lowdown on this guy?

There is a thread on William Bates here and there is website with information about his life and works here.

The Harmony of the Divine Attributes in the Contrivance and Accomplishment of Man's Redemption was published in 1674.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back