Perg,
I think the cartoon is a crude straw man. Honestly I don't see much further basis for discussion if you continue to insist that it accurately represents Adams, much less CCEF, Kellemen, Lambert, etc. I don't know that there is quite as much distance between the two generations as you seem to imagine. You appear to be more accepting of secular psychology than at least some of the 2nd generation is. It seems that the main differences are more of an acknowledgement of suffering and an acknowledgement that SSRI and similar medication can be helpful in some cases, albeit apparently on a much more limited basis than integrationists and secularists. SBTS got rid of their integrationist counseling department and brought in Stuart Scott (who came from Masters) and Lambert.
Many psychologists and psychiatrists have acknowledged that what they do has considerable overlap with religion or theology and that they have basically intruded on a realm that used to be considered religious before the likes of Freud came on the scene. And I think we would all admit that much of what they've come up with is utterly incompatible with the Bible. But too many Christians insist on equating those fields with orthopedics or cardiology, as the cartoon does. Do you know of anyone who argues that some aspect of modern orthopedics or gastroenterology is unbiblical?
WRT Dr. Murray, I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed (and even somewhat shocked) at a few of the posts I've seen from him on this general subject, especially given the fact that he is at PRTS. I have to admit to not knowing a great deal about PRTS and I haven't read a ton of Murray in general. Admittedly I had a certain conception of what to expect from someone writing under the "Puritan" banner. The Puritans were known as physicians of souls. I identified much more with Dr. Kellemen's posts in that regard. I think that Dr. Kellemen's educational and vocational background should be noted when it comes to his evaluation of psychiatry, psychology, etc. One could certainly argue that he is wrong, but he's certainly no stereotypical "fundie Bible-thumper" with some piece of paper from a dubious Bible college. But many would nonetheless say that the cartoon applies to him and anyone that he trains.
I also think the "abrasiveness" thing can be somewhat overemphasized. (They say that Athanasius was abrasive.) People suffer for various reasons. Some of it is self-inflicted, some not. A confrontational approach is called for in some cases. By that I mean what Nicholas pointed out. But even that is often reacted to with cries of "Legalism!" and so on. "Who are you to judge?" It is much easier to go off and take some pills that are diagnosed after a 20 minute visit instead.
In many of Adams books on counseling and related issues (More than Redemption comes to mind) he stated that he had not had time to be as thorough as he would have liked but he put them out anyway in an attempt to help. He hoped that others would come behind him and take up the cause. Certainly he has agreed more with some of those who followed than others.