Digital Pianos

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
Does anyone have any experience with digital pianos? Specifically with a Yamaha? I'm not really looking for a lecture on the difference between a digital and an acoustic, but rather trying to determine if a used Yahama CLP-120 in very good condition is worth $500. It has weighted keys. About the cheapest upright (and that is all we have space for) acoustic used runs around $1100-1200, and will need tuning ($100-200/year).

My 6 year old is learning piano. Also, keep in mind that in less than a year, he will likely have access to a brand new 7 or 8 ft grand piano chosen by someone in our congregation who is a professional musician. So I am looking to get something that can be used at home - with the plus of headphone use.

That is a good price for a Yamaha CLP-120. The Yamaha digital pianos are tops, and though I have never owned one, I played on one when I was looking for a piano for the church where we were members. We ended up purchasing a Yamaha Clavinova which basically had the same mechanics as the CLP only different sounds and features. I played and taught on that Clavinova for two years, and never had a problem with it.

There was a time when I would have hesitated recommending a digital piano to anyone, but the Yamahas are really impressive. What I like about the Yamaha digital pianos is how close the action is to a real piano. There is nothing like a good acoustic piano, but if you have to go digital, I would recommend the Yamaha.

I have a Casio digital. It's not the real thing (though I'd say that a good digital is better than a poor real piano), but WAY better than a keyboard, and sounds like it's probably a good fit for your situation.

That does sound like a good deal, especially with the weighted keys so the child learns how to play with the feel of a real piano.

I grew up on a Yamaha Clavinova. The things are practically indestructible, and the headphones are really nice for when the kids are horribly messing up the piece of music in question. I went on to get a degree in piano performance, and I was not hindered in any way by having grown up on a digital piano. However, I will say this: make sure your kids get lots of chances to play on real pianos too. It's best with exposure to a very wide variety of pianos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back