Discerning God's Will Apart from His Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip B

Puritan Board Freshman
I am currently the interim teaching pastor at a community church that is ruled by a board of lay elders. (I had served here previously in another capacity as well, so I am familiar with the body.)

Earlier this week, one of the elders said to me, "You study the Bible to find God's will. I pray and ask the Spirit to show me His will. So we should end up with the same answer because it's the same God." In other words, he was saying that there is more than one way to discern God's will -- either through Scripture or through other revelation. We were standing in the street about to part ways, so I just let him know that I didn't quite agree with him and that we should follow up on it soon.

That same evening, I attended an elder meeting where they were discussing how to begin their pastoral search. In the middle of the meeting, that same Elder said, "I think we need to pray," and after making a few more comments he began to lead the group in prayer. A second Elder followed, and a third closed. The gist of the first two prayers was largely "God lead us, show us your will, give us wisdom, etc."

When they finished praying, I said, "I believe it's always wise after asking God for His leading to open His Word and see how He might lead." And I opened my Bible and read a few verses that seemed relevant. Then the meeting continued. The following day, another elder told me that he sensed that the first elder was annoyed that I had followed their prayers with Scripture reading.

This elder has made similar statements in the past, and I know he is not alone (on the board or in the body) in how he believes he can discern God's will. I will discuss it with him soon. I but I also believe I should preach on it (not addressing the instances with this elder, of course, but rather how we discern God's will). I will probably do so in early April.

I have long rejected the notion that there are today promptings of the Spirit or divine impressions that are not directly connected to God's Word. And the only way to discern God's will is to read His Word relying on the Spirit to interpret it for us. But before I preach that to this body, I want to make certain that I haven't taken too rigid a position. Is there any room at all for any kind of Spirit-leading or divine guidance that does not incorporate God's Word? And if so, what does that look like?

I would also welcome any recommendations of books, sermons, or any other resources that might help me as I study this.

Start with the LBC:

Chapter 1:paragraph 1. The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience,1 although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men inexcusable; yet they are not sufficient to give that knowledge of God and His will which is necessary unto salvation.2 Therefore it pleased the Lord at sundry times and in diversified manners to reveal Himself, and to declare (that) His will unto His church;3 and afterward for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan, and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing; which makes the Holy Scriptures to be most necessary, those former ways of God's revealing His will unto His people being now completed.4
1 2 Tim. 3:15-17; Isa. 8:20; Luke 16:29,31; Eph. 2:20
2 Rom. 1:19-21, 2:14,15; Psalm 19:1-3
3 Heb. 1:1
4 Prov. 22:19-21; Rom. 15:4; 2 Pet. 1:19,20

Chapter 1: Paragraph 5. We may be moved and induced by the testimony of the church of God to a high and reverent esteem of the Holy Scriptures; and the heavenliness of the matter, the efficacy of the doctrine, and the majesty of the style, the consent of all the parts, the scope of the whole (which is to give all glory to God), the full discovery it makes of the only way of man's salvation, and many other incomparable excellencies, and entire perfections thereof, are arguments whereby it does abundantly evidence itself to be the Word of God; yet notwithstanding, our full persuasion and assurance of the infallible truth, and divine authority thereof, is from the inward work of the Holy Spirit bearing witness by and with the Word in our hearts.8
8 John 16:13,14; 1 Cor. 2:10-12; 1 John 2:20,27

Chapter 1: Paragraph 10. The supreme judge, by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Scripture delivered by the Spirit, into which Scripture so delivered, our faith is finally resolved.21
21 Matt. 22:29, 31, 32; Eph. 2:20; Acts 28:23

Stephen: Thank you! I started to read Dr. Friesen book back in the '80s, but I confess that being the young, undisciplined man that I was, I did not make it very far. The summary you linked to was very helpful, and I will return to the full book.

Joshua: Thank you, too! I may steal the Scrooge quote when I teach on this.

You say that "We may pray for wisdom . . . to better understand God's Law. . . ." When James tells us that if we lack wisdom we should ask God for it, is this what he has in mind: to ask God for wisdom to better understand and apply His Word to the trials we face? If we ask for wisdom but do not consult the Scriptures, is that the doubting that James talks about that will result in not receiving any wisdom?

Also, you call praying for mystical leading, etc. "bad voodoo." Ezekiel 13:6 calls this kind of thing (assigning to God that which did not come from God) "lying divination." Is it fair to label the practice of trying to discern God's will apart from His Word "divination"? Or is that too "loaded" because of the associations with paganism and witchcraft?

Thanks Ken! That will be helpful.

The argument that I often hear, however, goes something like this: "I do consider Scripture 'the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience,' but as long as what the Spirit is telling me is consistent with Scripture, I don't see the problem." Of course, they never open their Bibles, so they don't really know if their "bad voodoo" is consistent with Scripture or not.

And when you introduce Scripture into a discussion, they seem to get confused and wander off aimlessly (and I'm not really kidding).

But your pointing me back to the confession does help to affirm my position and it will help as I prepare to teach the body.

Of course, they never open their Bibles, so they don't really know if their "bad voodoo" is consistent with Scripture or not.

If you are going to stay at that church, you have your work cut out for you.

Here are some thoughts from the Puritans which you may find helpful (as I did). Taken from "A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life" by Joel Beeke & Mark Jones

Flavel offered this counsel: If you want to discover God’s will, govern your search by these rules • Get the true fear of God upon your hearts; be truly afraid of offending Him. • Study the Word more, and the concerns and interests of the world less. • Reduce what you know to practice, and you shall know what is your duty to practice. • Pray for illumination and direction about the way you should go; beg the Lord to guide you in straits, and not to suffer you to fall into sin. • This being done, follow providence as far as it agrees with the Word, and no further.

Stephen Charnock (1628–1680) warned that pride uses means without seeking God, and presumption depends on God while neglecting the means God provides. He said, “Diligence on our part, and the blessing on God’s, Solomon joined together, ‘The hand of the diligent makes rich’ (Prov. 10:4), but, ‘The blessing of the LORD maketh rich’ (v. 22).”

More on this subject from Flavel here: The Mystery of Providence, John Flavel

I believe the point of asking for wisdom is to have a better handling of the Scriptures, so that we consistently and honestly interpret it, as well as rightly apply it. We're not asking for some mystical occurrence whereby God all-of-the-sudden makes us discerners of His secret will. "The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law." - Deut. 29

:amen:

To add to what Joshua said, understanding of scriptures comes from getting familiar with scriptures, if you don't read scriptures regularly and think that because you prayed next time you open up scriptures God will give you the revelation you need through the first verse you read it's not going to happen. God ministers to us through our regular reading of scriptures. The more your read and think on what you read the more you will understand (I'm assuming a regenerate reader here). Of course God will give more grace to some than other so they will grow in understanding faster than others but understanding of scripture will only come but being good bereans.

Proverbs 28:9, "He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination." Compare Proverbs 1:28-31; 8:33-36.

There is a line from a movie I saw that I have never forgotten. In the movie "Say Anything" , a Senior Valedictorian is giving a speech at graduation. She said " I've glimpsed our future and all I can say is - Go back". I saw your post and thought of that quote. What I would say is.. Not as cute. But it would be in that fashion.. Or just "run". The Text is God's communication. Wisdom, prayer are wonderful things- that help us discern his Revealed Will- His word.

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate it greatly.

@Gage: I've had that thought often. But if I "run," am I saving myself (and my family!) from a sinking ship? Or am I abandoning a flock to shepherds who aren't equipped to care for it? Am I cutting my losses or shirking my responsibility? I realize there aren't enough details here to expect an informed answer, but that's what I need to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back