Do you celebrate Easter with the easter Bunny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we don't with our daughter(We don't do Santa either). Children don't remember Easter Service, just the goodies.

When my girls were small we didn't celebrate Easter. What we would do is put together a 'Spring Basket'. It was filled with all the candy and toys but we were simply celebrating the end of winter. (Mind you, in VT and WI there are 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding).

At Christmas, we told our daughters that there was no Santa Claus for which my mother accused us of being child abusers. However, after telling them the truth we would have fun pretending that all these creatures were real. Their favorite was the Tooth Fairy who brought them a whoopie cushion.

We don't celebrate "Easter" (Ishatar....etc.) But we love to snack on Cadburry Eggs and Chocolate Bunnies. And biting the heads off "Peeps" (those marshmellow chicks and bunnies) is a hoot!

[quote:676a5420f1]
But we love to snack on Cadburry Eggs and Chocolate Bunnies.
[/quote:676a5420f1]

Do you give them to your kids on easter? or just go the the grocery store the day after and buy the easter candy on clearance? (thats what i do)

I suggest to our families at church that they refrain from the bunnies and eggs at Easter - which I prefer to refer to as Resurrection Sunday. They need to be clear about what we are celebrating.

And then they can go to the store the day after and get a great deal at the candy sales! They need not use it as "Easter" candy, but I see no problem with kids getting candy eggs and bunnies (and parents not paying an arm and a leg for it)!

Cadbury eggs are the best!!!!

Phillip

[Edited on 4-5-04 by pastorway]

I still refer to it as "Easter" but I don't celebrate it with bunnies/candy or anything like that.

I do celebrate the clearance sales though! Mr. Solid, Mr. Munchy, etc. are all good friends of mine! :banana:

Gotta keep it seperated

We keep Santa Claus and and Easter Bunny distinctly seperate from the religious significance of each holiday.

Santa and the Bunny are as real as Barney and Dragontales to my kids, they are make believe to them. God and Christ are real to them, and we work very hard at making that distinction. :dueling:
For example, we celebrate the birth of Christ Christmas Eve, and Christmas morning are about presents that we give to them. For Easter we will celebrate Resurrection Sunday, and do eggs and baskets on Saturday as a spring fling kind of thing.

Now Halloween is a totally different story.:wr30:

We don't do the Easter Bunny. In fact I don't think my son even knows who it is. Until last year he didn't know who Santa Claus was either since they aren't germane to the religious nature of these days. As to Barney- :smash: .

I have a family of cottontails that lives in/by my yard. They are my "everyday" bunnies.

:bouncy:

What the fate of all make-believe characters that steal away

:gunfire::zapped::attack:

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by dkicklig]

One can only imagine the countless lives that have been shattered by this infamous bunny:bouncy:

When I have kids it'll be the Easter Monkey.

What's this? the Easter Monkey came early this year, and he wants to type a message!

;w ergjpih'j5oih'befa jkn4632u;klkbnl'ith poi 4thi4thjpoiy6u96

Pretty soon he'll be typing out Shakespeare.

{little kid voices--}We love you Easter Monkey!

;)

The Easter Bunny? Crucify Him!

[b:a8c53374ce]Actors Whip Easter Bunny at Church Show[/b:a8c53374ce]

By Associated Press

April 7, 2004, 5:18 PM EDT

GLASSPORT, Pa. -- A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs, upsetting several parents and young children.

People who attended Saturday's performance at Glassport's memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, "There is no Easter bunny," and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

Melissa Salzmann, who brought her 4-year-old son J.T., said the program was inappropriate for young children. "He was crying and asking me why the bunny was being whipped," Salzmann said.

Patty Bickerton, the youth minister at Glassport Assembly of God, said the performance wasn't meant to be offensive. Bickerton portrayed the Easter rabbit and said she tried to act with a tone of irreverence.

"The program was for all ages, not just the kids. We wanted to convey that Easter is not just about the Easter bunny, it is about Jesus Christ," Bickerton said.

Performers broke eggs meant for an Easter egg hunt and also portrayed a drunken man and a self-mutilating woman, said Jennifer Norelli-Burke, another parent who saw the show in Glassport, a community about 10 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

"It was very disturbing," Norelli-Burke said. "I could not believe what I saw. It wasn't anything I was expecting."

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...16358.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

[b:a8c53374ce]Easter event offends some in attendance[/b:a8c53374ce]
By DAVID WHIPKEY, Daily News Staff Writer

What was supposed to be an Easter celebration for children reportedly turned into a demonstration of how Jesus Christ was crucified.

Several area residents were outraged by a performance sponsored by Glassport Assembly of God church Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

"It was absolutely horrendous," Melissa Salzmann said. "We left after about 45 minutes, it was so bad."

Residents quote performers as saying, "There is no Easter Bunny" and breaking eggs meant for an Easter egg hunt.

A portrayal of the Easter Bunny being whipped and tortured as the 12 stations of the cross reportedly was part of the show.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.asp?brd=1282

:tv:

[quote:010cf6733b]
A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs
[/quote:010cf6733b]

They stole my idea!!!:banghead:

[quote:ebd6638431][i:ebd6638431]Originally posted by Optimus[/i:ebd6638431]
why? [/quote:ebd6638431]

After I was saved , Santa and the Easter Bunny left our home (as did all Hallows Eve)

The Catholic church compromised the truth of the Gospel in my opinion by adding to them the pagan images .

We do not talk of Santa , we place names on tags .
I do not give Chocolate bunnies , etc

The baskets our kids got had Kites and baseballs and other spring activities along with some chocolate .

I do not believe that it is a sin to celebrate the holidays with" secular " symbols because there is now no condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus.
As Paul once noted

"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not"

Passover not Easter for me

We're a tad odd (when my husband was alive) because we did the eight days of Passover because of my Jewish heritage and then we 'celebrated' the resurrection of Christ. Never have even liked calling 'it' Easter since from what I have read Easter has pagan connections. So we basically had the idea that if Christ being an observant Jew did something than it was good enough for us.

As for Easter candies etc I do buy the pastel coloured Hershey kisses because the colours are pretty. I also make an egg tree from blown and decorated eggs our hens lay. Eggs are Ok with me because they are part of the Passover seder. And our hens are hatching cute chicks this time of year.

I do know that this is a hard time for me because Ron died a few weeks ago and making special meals and seeing him so happy and smiling was all I needed to know he loved me.

[quote:9414f98871][i:9414f98871]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:9414f98871]
[b:9414f98871]Actors Whip Easter Bunny at Church Show[/b:9414f98871]

[color=Red:9414f98871][size=24:9414f98871]Patty Bickerton, the youth minister[/size:9414f98871][/color:9414f98871] at Glassport Assembly of God, said the performance wasn't meant to be offensive. Bickerton portrayed the Easter rabbit and said she tried to act with a tone of irreverence.

"The program was for all ages, not just the kids. We wanted to convey that Easter is not just about the Easter bunny, it is about Jesus Christ," Bickerton said. [/quote:9414f98871]

Weeelllll there's part of the problem.:jd:

[Edited on 4-9-2004 by Doodle Bug]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back