Doctrine of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
What are some good books that deal with Theology Proper? I have read good chunks of Bavinck and Frame, but am curious what others recommend.

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but Thomas Boston's Commentary on the Shorter Catechism comes to mind. Two large volumes. Regrettably it is not online, but check out addall.com for sets as cheap as $42.

It doesn't have to be a "doctrine of God" book per se. Just something that deals with the doctrine beyond just passing.

Libronix 3 PBB files (Windows Only)

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but Thomas Boston's Commentary on the Shorter Catechism comes to mind. Two large volumes. Regrettably it is not online, but check out addall.com for sets as cheap as $42.

The book may be in the volumes that are in PBB format. I found that you can download the Libronix shell and download and install the files for Thomas Boston twelve volumes. This is all free.

Here is where the PBB file is located... The Works of Thomas Boston - PBB Format | Truth is Still Truth

Libronix shell can be downloaded here New Installation of the Libronix DLS

This will allow you to read all the volumes available at stilltruth.com. Let me know if you have any problems and I will type out detailed instructions.

Last edited:

The book may be in the volumes that are in PBB format. I found that you can download the Libronix shell and download and install the files for Thomas Boston twelve volumes. This is all free.

Here is where the PBB file is located... The Works of Thomas Boston - PBB Format | Truth is Still Truth

Libronix shell can be downloaded here New Installation of the Libronix DLS

This will allow you to read all the volumes available at stilltruth.com. Let me know if you have any problems and I will type out detailed instructions.

I actually have all the Boston volumes already downloaded from stilltruth.com

That website gets a :up:

'The Doctrine of God', Gerald Bray
'The Providence of God', Paul Helm

Both the above are in the 'Contours of Christian Theology' series.

'Concise Reformed Dogmatics', J.Van Genderen and W.H.Velma is excellent on theology proper as well.

Try Turretin's 3 volume Institutes of Elenctic Theology. It's a good systemic theology with attention paid to some of the issues of the day which aren't all that different from what we see now.

Calvins Institutes of the Christian Religion, The Coming of the Kingdom by Ridderbos, Biblical Theology by Geerhardus Vos, Theology of the New Testament by George Ladd,
and A Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back